Dead Suby :(

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
carlie400

Dead Suby :(

Post by carlie400 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 am

Hi All,

Well, My little man has died.. Thankfully not too far from home.
I was just driving along and all of a sudden the cabin filled with smoke and there was smoke coming out of everything !!!!

I thought I was on fire but from what I can figure so far, something popped and let out a mass amount of oil and it was burning off the motor, which made the smoke.

Now... I have no choice but to rebuild the orig motor, replace it and maybe.. maybe, sell my little man :( I am under a lot of pressure from those around me to buy a 'reliable' car... I still dont want to though :(
Sux when things go wrong that only confirm what the people around you have been saying since purchase date...

Uhh.. Oh well... Just thought I would update you all :(

Cheers,
Carlie
Not Fugly!![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:00 am

I still have not replied to your PM - sorry been a bit busy at work. I will give it a fair bit of thought and let you know. I am currently in the process of beginning to restore a similar subie to yours (a sedan but) - see the my car section. So will have to work through the same sort of things.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:23 pm

nawww thats no good.. i vote engine conversion! :D but thats just me. :P

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Bugger! I was really hoping to see you get your little man up to scratch how you wanted him...

I'm neglecting Ruby Scoo at the moment, just glad nothing is really breaking down, just small things that need fixing that I don't want to be dealing with at the moment (like the dodgy EA82...)

I'd look into a second hand EA81 as an interum replacement engine. And learn some mechanics if you havn't already ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

riksta

Post by riksta » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Thats not good, sorry to hear that.

I hope you can fix him up so that he runs fine again.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

carlie400

Some

Post by carlie400 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I do know the basic mechanics.. I can service.. change a tyre, brakes.. and generally look and know when something is out of place.. This however, I think is way beyond me :) There is so much oil under there I dont even know where its coming from...
Think I'll take the motor out (once I work out how) and keep it for parts? maybe? I'll take the motor that was in it when I brought it (thats done a head gasket) I think its an EA81.. still have to check. Go get that recod.. Attempt to get it all back together and decide what I'm going to do with him them..
He has really let me down this time... It's not fun anymore :(
Still dont want to sell him though :)
~Carlie

daza

Post by daza » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

I think you should clean the engine bay down, refill the oil and start it(or just crank it over)
If you can see where the oil is coming from it could be an easy fix? (oil preasure switchs can pump out a hell of a lot of oil, in all directions!)
Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 pm

carlie400 wrote:It's not fun anymore :(
Still dont want to sell him though :)
I know that feeling!!! Especially when its halfway across the land of Oz in the middle of nowhere without mobile reception. My brother was lucky I was there :mrgreen: (I asked him to come with me)...

Good luck with it, I hope to meet you and your little man some day ;)

Bennie

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 pm

el_freddo wrote:
good luck with it, i hope to meet you and your little man some day ;)

bennie

^^^ewww^^^
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:23 pm

maxxair wrote:^^^ewww^^^
You had to go and take that out of context didn't you??? I'm sure Carlie knows what I mean.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

girls and oil change.....

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am

OOPS..... it is not going to be sexist, that could be against a rule in here

I can safely say that I know of more males doing their own oil changes than females that have resulted in the oil filter not being tight enough and leaking oil ALL OVER THE PLACE

Carlie, if you can check to see the oil filter is not loose. I dunno about EA71 at all but EA81 and 82 have an oil pressure switch screweed in near the oil filter on the oil pump and they have a the ability to leak, some more so than others

the smoke does not mean you lost all your oil does it ? just that a little oil and hot zaust makes lot of smoke.

please also check your oil level and also tell how much was needed to top your little man up to full

a cheap tin of degreaser and an engine wash probably followed by a squirt of anti water inside dizzy cap might help determine where next lot of oil coming from

keep up the determination

sounds like you could allay friends family fears and pick up a cheap reliable MY series and secretly organise a BBQ with the members close by to arrange the transplant of EA81 and stuff into your beast !!

jim

Post by jim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am

hey mate, i just had the same dilemour with my L sportswagon, the engine was stuffed but the body and driveline were still in pretty good condition. People were telling me to get another car but when I weighed it all up the money spent to get the engine reconditioned was less than half of getting a newer reliable car. Also you know what your car is about more than buying another one. So if the body is still good and you love the car then keep it and fix it up, you wont regret it.

cheers

jim

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 pm

jim wrote:hey mate, i just had the same dilemour with my L sportswagon, the engine was stuffed but the body and driveline were still in pretty good condition. People were telling me to get another car but when I weighed it all up the money spent to get the engine reconditioned was less than half of getting a newer reliable car. Also you know what your car is about more than buying another one. So if the body is still good and you love the car then keep it and fix it up, you wont regret it.

cheers

jim
If your talking ea82, they are plentiful and cheep. for us W.A guys we end up throwing away good ones because they are worth nothing. You just need to look around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

jim

Post by jim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm

i couldn't find any over here, guess i looked in all the wrong places, ahh well

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeah, for what it is worth I have built up three engines after being rebored , crank ground, cam grind etc and moneywise has been worth it in each case. One engine has about 350,000km on it and still pulls like a bull, another did 180,000 hard revving km in my Brumby.

Reco an engine gives more reason to keep it even as a second car if you get one with work or partner. Everyone can use (or borrow) a ute. But get some good advice here whether to go EA81 or 71.

carlie400

Hmm

Post by carlie400 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone..
I'm sure Carlie knows what I mean.
Of course I do.. and I hope so too !! Looking forward to a 4wd trip around my area. Not too far away so I dont have to two too far to get home !! :)

I just want to thank everyone for their encouragement and ideas.. I find them all very useful and informative.. I will be dropping the motor off sometime this week to be recod...

Not sure about a couple of the comments though.......
girls and oil change.....
females that have resulted in the oil filter not being tight enough and leaking oil ALL OVER THE PLACE
:) I'm sure you didnt mean any of that in a sexist way however I will have you know.. I have had roughly... 9 cars before this one, all of which I serviced myself, and NONE of which EVER leaked oil from the filter due to it not being tight enough...

We can all safely rule out 'chick that doesnt know what she's doing' from my suby dramas that I am having/had and most likely will continue to have in the future.... Besides.. after I sold the gtr torana I vowed to never do my own services again because I lost the passion. Seems so much easier being a chick that cries dumb when she gets a flat....

ANYWAY !! :)

Again.. thanks everyone for the help.. I will keep you all updated on the progress, and in the meantime I have not checked how much oil is left in him now.. I will degrease the engine bay as suggested, fill the oil and watch where it comes out ! If it was a simple problem it would be nice :)

I'll let you know!!

Cheers

Carlie

tex

Post by tex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="carlie400"]Hi Everyone..:) I have had roughly... 9 cars before this one, all of which I serviced myself, and NONE of which EVER leaked oil from the filter due to it not being tight enough...

We can all safely rule out 'chick that doesnt know what she's doing' from my suby dramas that I am having/had and most likely will continue to have in the future.... Besides.. after I sold the gtr torana I vowed to never do my own services again because I lost the passion. Seems so much easier being a chick that cries dumb when she gets a flat....

Give Em hell...
And If I were still down your way I would come and help out I would have a spare EA81 too but its a bit worse for wear at the moment, Your going to have to fix her up0 though cause I missed it at Deni last time!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Oh and by the way Carlie, I think this isn't a dead subi - just one that's "resting its internal organs" :p

Bennie

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 pm

haha Carlie sounds like you are very capable of servicing cars. All this silly talk about problems with females doing it geeze...
Oh regarding oil, don't forget to ask for a nice new "710" cap too, just incase the old one needs replacing. :)

Good luck with getting him going again, he's a classic and deserves the treatment!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:00 pm

AndrewT wrote:Oh regarding oil, don't forget to ask for a nice new "710" cap too, just incase the old one needs replacing. :)
Hehehe... 710 cap, you crack me up AT!
AndrewT wrote:he's a classic and deserves the treatment!
Yeah yeah! It'd be sad to see him move on to another owner or taken off the road...

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”