another REPCO CV shaft stuffed 16months

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 pm

All the CV Shafts seem to be made in China. Rang old Subaru dealer in Brisbane he told me original Subaru Brumby drive shafts cost $700 a pair. I just installed a new set of aftermarket drive shafts in my Brumby and in less than 100 ks the left side is clicking. Just wondering if they are properly greased up before the install the boots. All these free trade agreements that our GOV locked into are just a license to allow imported SHIT to flood the market. From now on I'm going to release the inner and outer boots on the new shafts slide them back and ensure that the bearing and the joint are properly greased. I'm totally crapped of with aftermarket Chow cv shafts failing and boots busting.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Welcome to the club! :(

I had a pair of new aftermarket shafts clicking (really badly clicking) from the word go. Taking them out again and sliding the inner joint in and out by hand the thing sounded and felt like it was full of sand. Also being the tri-bearing design didn't help. They weren't the cheapest ones around either, $150 each. Got my money back on them.

Now there's only one CV and drive shaft place I go to, the old guy knows old Subaru's and makes his own shafts with the proper 6 bearing inner, and using genuine Subaru rubber boots that have the proper smaller rib to clear the steering shaft and the rubber lasts longer.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

I've just experienced the same thing.

Swapped in two new shafts. One clicked the moment I started rolling. Got a replacement.
In te meantime whe waiting on said replacement the Brumby did about 700km and the other side was definitely clicking after the righ hand side was replaced.

Last weekend I went to fit the second replacement shaft for the left hand side unit that's been in there for about 7 weeks now. My mother inlaw told me she can't drive it over 80kmph due to a very bad shudder/vibration at 100kmph after a period of time.

I didn't bother fitting the replacement shaft. Now four shafts are going back to my local parts joint. The two shafts they originally replaced went on after sourcing good boots on another L shaft I wasn't using due to it clicking/grinding.

Now to work out the next move. A set of genuine shafts is very appealing right now. The Brumby has 380k km on it and those shafts must've been a genuine unit or a very well built aftermarket unit. I totally agree with Gazza about the free trade deals. Sucks for the end user.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Cant for life of me understand how new cv shafts can *** up so quickly. Wot less that 100ks and clicking. This is Bull Sht Robbery Extortion.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:50 am

Yes, I think some of them could be 'Made in China' - hence low quality steel ... :(

You'd be better of sourcing genuine replacements / Remanufactured CV's from Australia ... ;)

Ciao, Bantum ...

David D

Post by David D » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:03 pm

Is there a good way to tell if CV shafts are genuine Subaru? Just wondering if it's worth checking the MY wagons at the local wreckers to see if there are any worth getting reconned.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm

The genuine units have ribs on the outside of the inner joints cup, ridges or bumps running lengthwise with the shaft.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:20 pm

I came across a pair of new CV shafts in my workshop made by Wanxiang Group China. Bought them through Suzukisuper they had a code of SB-8-901 and the slide perfectly through both hub bearings no forcing . Also I released both inner and outer boots by sliding back and added more of that Red CV bearing grease and worked it right into the bearings before refitting the boots. Im gonna see how they go. Not holding my breath. Im just about over these shonky CV Shafts.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

I think heat from the exhaust plays a part in CV life, maybe because it makes the grease too thin or something like that.

I do not recommend recons even if they are genuine Subaru, I have tried some and they didn't last more than a few months. And they aren't cheap either.

What I would recommend is Autoforce brand aftermarket shafts from Sprint auto parts. About $200 and something like 60,000km warranty. OEM spec and I have not had any problems with them.

Protex shafts should be avoided because they don't fit correctly and use a tripod inner joint, but I would still use one over a recon.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:03 am

That bit u mention about the heat from the exhaust playing part in CV life plays on my mind. On the drivers side u have the catalytic converter just below the inner CV boot.An old Subaru mechanic told me sometime ago that the heat from catalytic converter helps break down the rubber boot resulting in the grease getting thrown out. On the other side u have the ordinary exhaust outlet just below the inner boot.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Nah not heat with these shafts. It's the outer joint that's been the issue.

I too have had the shaft slide straight in - I did think to my self that this was not right as they should be a very snug fit.

The ones I've been playing with are the protex units too.

It'd be nice to get a set that last some time again!

Keep the heat shield on the cat and extractors and you'll be right.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Liberty Valance

Post by Liberty Valance » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:49 pm

+1 REPCO Drive Shaft Problems !

I wish I'd found this thread sooner. It would have save me time, money and frustration.

To make a very long story short, I have found the hard way that the REPCO rear replacement driveshaft for an 07 XT Forester is 5mm shorter than OEM.

This may not be an issue in a standard height car but resulted in clicking from day one of installation in my lifted forester.

The good news is that OEM shafts have come down in price to one third of their previous price. Whereas about $900 was the going price for an OEM driveshaft they can now be picked up 'Frog's rates' for $300.

It's a no-brainer to use OEM driveshafts in Foresters now !

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 am

Went to take the MY for a drive and noticed tell tale CV grease on the front driver side firewall. Didn't have a new boxed set of boots so pulled new boots of a front drive shaft I had pulled part and refitted new boots to not too long ago. This shaft clicked straight away so it was pulled back out and stored. Anyway, pulled the boots off this and fitted to the car. Took it for a drive and, here we go again, tell tale CV grease on the front passenger side this time.
Boot gone again.
The common denominator ?
REPCO boots.
As mentioned before, REPCO are everywhere and usually have boots for MY's/Brumby's in stock.
Went to Autopro (know all the guys fairly well anyway) and ordered 2 of each inner and outer boots but KELPRO brand.
Have had these before but not for some time so will see how they go.
New booted fitted on the front passenger shaft now so off we go again.
Will be steering clear of REPCO for now though.

Return to “Subaru Chat”