Brumby Project

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah I agree, "backpressure" is a bad term to use. Extractors aid performance by "extracting" or sucking the exhaust out, greatly reducing the backpressure at the valves.

I imagine if the pipes are too large, you wont get this affect.

I'm sure other things are affected as well.

Exhausts are actually pretty complicated & if correctly tuned to an engine make an enormous difference. Re F1 engines which produce 750HP+, yet with a broken header can drop by 200HP!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Yeah it was probably a bad oversight on my behalf , it is a principle I definitely know of however it was not something I spoke about in great detail with the guy before he started.....

Luckily...I think he was one step ahead of me, just had a quick check and although I was unable to take a proper measurement but the headers were definitely smaller, I would say around the 1.75" mark from a guess.

The more I look at it the more I am pretty impressed with the job. Reason for wanting the extractors was partly because the old piece was so carbon fouled and had large dints in it....pretty sure it would have only been 1/2" in some sections where it had been hit haha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Backyard Brumby,
Nice work, I have a couple of questions for you. First have you run the motor since fitting the new pipework to the heads? Has it effected the back pressure? And what's the name of your exhaust man, if you don't mind revealing his name? I live on the Gold Coast and source a lot of my parts from two guys in Brisbane. So a trip up for a good exhaust job is not out of the question. I know most say to go to a EJ, but great to see that you are sticking with the mighty EA81. Good luck with the rest of your project.
Regards
Buddyboy
Regards Buddyboy.

"Subaru, when only the best will do".

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Cheers for the kind words mate,

The bloke is the owner of a A1 Exhausts at Jindalee, he was quite good to deal with and seemed to know his way around the engine quite well,

I have not yet started the engine, hoping too very soon so I will post up when I have got some answers for that, I am very keen myself to see the results myself.

Yeah originally the decision was to stick with the ea81 because I was on my p plates at the time but now that I am about to go onto opens I am still really happy, I like the originality of it and it is a motor that will just keep going. keen to see how it performs with all the new mods :)

Got some good work done today, fitted discs on all fours so the thing should brake ten times better :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 pm

And so it's been a few months - how's it all been going??

Keen for an update and some pics :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:27 am

I wish i could tell you it was up running and hitting the fourbie tracks. Unfortunately it is still coming along. We put the battery in the other day and everything seemed to work. however the indicator stalk (original) has very different wiring from the dash board female plug. which is causing grief. thinking about trying to get my hands on a indicator stalk that will match up to the dash.

Other than that I have Gary who did the rebuilt ea81 coming around on Tuesday to do a check over all the engine fittings and advise what to amend before we start it up which should be not long after.

Other than that I have been lucky enough to meet an upholsterer through my business who is going to do me up completely custom carbon fiber door panels which i think will be well worth seeing when they are done. (yeah carbon fiber a bit hard to imagine on the rumby but i think they will work out really well) he will also be doing the headline at the same time.

other than that I now have disc brakes all round and pretty much every major part in the car has been replaced....definitely getting there.

Doing a big trip down to perisher and Sydney in august so i want it all run in and working perfectly by then :-)

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm

So it is coming together, I am stoked with the way it is looking as everything starts working it's way back on to the car. Good to see the 14" wheels back on the front.

Engine starting to fall into place, there is a fair bit of wiring we will be tucking and hiding once it is up and running just have it connected to get it running and make it easy for finding issues

We will be running dual thermatic fans, one when the engine starts to heat up and the other when the aircon is on..

This is where we could do with a little help, what is the unit in the top right. dirty looking, I assume it is some form of vac unit but where does the large hose down the bottom right of the photo join up to, I assume into the carby or manifold just wondering if someone has a nice clean solution

Well that is the update for now, next week getting braided brake lines made up for all four corners to go with the new discs and pads. Then looking at start up with Little White Ute and the plans for the interior are coming along well....trust me when I say no Brumby has or will ever have an interior like this...it will definitely be different....hopefully it is a good different :)

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Just thought I would show off the new brake set up, cross drilled slotted rotors, new RDA pads, Braided brake lines and it is discs all round with a new master cylinder.....this thing should brake better than new

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu May 24, 2012 2:32 pm

This is looking sweet.

what did you do for rear disks? what was the donor for them?

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 pm

cheers AshR, we were lucky enough to get them off a member on here and they were listed as RX / L-series Turbo rear discs

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu May 24, 2012 3:06 pm

are they just a bolt on or you need to do the rear suspension etc too?

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Bolt on, quick easy job to remove the drums and the discs when straight on

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

sweet, I'll get my hunting shoes on then. thanks for that

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Not a problem at all, good luck with it :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Ash, make sure you get the hub, disc, caliper, backing plate and the brake line on the swing arm to the body as it's different to the drum's brake line.

If you find one on ebay expect to pay about $500, if you find one in the wreckers see what you can do. I got lucky with mine. It's ultimately the hub that's the difference between the 2wd and 4wd units. You definitely want the 4wd unit! Everything else is bolt on between 2wd and 4wd. Make sense?

We need to sit down and talk subaru ;)

Cheers

Bennie

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

El_Freddo wrote: We need to sit down and talk subaru ;)

Cheers

Bennie
I'll give you a buzz when the truck drops the brumby at my door step (expecting late next week or early week after)

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Thu May 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Yeah exactly as Benny said, we got lucky enough to miss out on a set on ebay and a member sent a private message with them. Definitely big dollars and you need to make sure everything is included, took me about 5 months to come across a complete set. Will tell you soon whether it is worth it :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Backyard_Brumby wrote:Will tell you soon whether it is worth it :)
It's definitely worth it! The drums don't really do much unless they're in top condition, if not then they're just free-loading!

Cheers

Bennie

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu May 24, 2012 4:43 pm

yeah it's one of the first modifications I'm planning for the brumby (as it already has a lift kit and wheels)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 pm

El_Freddo wrote:It's definitely worth it! The drums don't really do much unless they're in top condition, if not then they're just free-loading!

Cheers

Bennie
Interesting you should say that, I've heard from a few other people rear discs aren't necessary and a waste of time, on the MY's at least. But if you upgrade the engine you need to upgrade the braking system anyway.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Subaru Chat”