Diff locks

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 pm

I found some info. External size it will bolt up but you'd have to stuff around with cv axles. Internally the crown wheel is bigger in the R180. I'm sure something could be worked out to run with an R180 diff but that's not the point of this thread. It would be ALOT easyer, if you are looking at retailing these things, to get a locker built for the R160. Saves finding other diffs and axles etc.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:28 pm

bluesteel wrote:by the looks of it theres a listing for a r180 and a r200 for a nissan on the arb site

Just had a look at that. R180 is listed but no part number so not available....unless you found a different listing.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:35 pm

yeah i was looking at the same thing lightning...
just thought they wouldnt have bothered putting it in there if they didnt have one. just didnt list the part number maybe?

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:22 pm

They aren't available. I went looking in my books here. Nobody seems to do them until you get into the R200 diff.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:26 pm

bugga :( i have heard mention of a r180 locker before tho

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:22 pm

R190 diff is the same size externally as R160 and R180 and apparently can share the detroit locker available for the H190 diff. I have no idea what type of axle stubs are on the R190 as I found some info on another website saying "R190 - Nissan Comp diff used in early 70's race cars and 432R's. Still some of these floating around.
"
That is off a yankie website so I can't even find out if there are any of these R190's brought into australia.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:47 pm

The R160 and R180 are not the same size externally at all. The R180 is much bigger. I have got a GDB STi R180 in my collection of goodies that you can have a look at and see the difference in size.

dibs

dif lock

Post by dibs » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:36 pm

i could be interested in a REAR . GOTA OK IT WITH WIFE HAHA. JUST GOT BACK FROM 4X4 TINNY AND CAMPING THINGY COULDNT GET ANY INFO ON DIF LOCKS DOWN THERE DIBS

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 am

BYB-01 wrote:The R160 and R180 are not the same size externally at all. The R180 is much bigger. I have got a GDB STi R180 in my collection of goodies that you can have a look at and see the difference in size.

There must be alot of wrong info out there then, else they are talking actual "Nissan" diffs :confused:

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:33 am

Sorry, things have changed so i have editied post
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am

Any word on these yet?
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:21 pm

Yeah i still want to be posted.... im worried im going to miss some sort of order date.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:55 pm

If you build them, they will come.
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

Fang

Post by Fang » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:34 pm

I'll have to rescind my interest - after talking to a few people in the know. Apparently lockers are not a Full Time 4WD car's friend.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 pm

Why do they say that and do they realise it is not like an air locker where when it is locked it stays locked?

Fang

Post by Fang » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Hmmmm - I have been told that the problem is when the car is on pavement - it will not interact well with the gearbox. Dirt would be no problem.

If I am mistaken, I would appreciate more advice on this. I would love the locker option.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:25 pm

Fang wrote:Hmmmm - I have been told that the problem is when the car is on pavement - it will not interact well with the gearbox. Dirt would be no problem.

If I am mistaken, I would appreciate more advice on this. I would love the locker option.
I have thought about this. The thing that these lockers ("unlockers") do is let 1 wheel spin faster, say going around a left hand corner your outer right wheel will spin faster, but the inner left will spin the same speed as when going straight. The problem here is when going around that same corner the inner wheel normally slows and compensates for the outer wheel going faster with an open rear diff. So with the auto locker in the rear the rear side of the centre diff will end up going faster then the front side, unless you had an identical auto locker in the front. But the point of having a diff in the middle is it can change speeds form the front to rear. So I can't see it being a problem. It will just work your centre diff a little more.

I have also thought about the extra stress on the centre diff when it is locked and the rear is locked.. I asked on USMB about the strength of the FT4WD centre diff locker and they didn't think it would be an issue having the rear locker. Someone said they blow the diff with a turbo EJ engine with open diffs, but if you don't thrash it, it should be alright.. And the point of a rear diff lock is you don't need to thrash it.

Now if you were running AWD with a VLSD centre having the auto locker in the rear might wear your viscous disc a little faster then normal. But I haven't looked into the VLSD centre diffs much. Only really just looked at one I pulled apart that was full of worn metal gump.

I would be interested in one of these rear lockers if it could be had for under $800.. If not I will go another way which I've been planning since this time last year..

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 am

Fang wrote:I'll have to rescind my interest - after talking to a few people in the know. Apparently lockers are not a Full Time 4WD car's friend.

I am under the impression that a rear auto locker on a full time 4wd is ok. If you really want to know, ring locked drive systems (who import detroits) and say you have a gxl landcruiser (as they are full time 4wd with centre diff lock).
Phone number for them is 02 9897 7912

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Lightning_Silver_RX wrote: If you really want to know, ring locked drive systems (who import detroits) and say you have a gxl landcruiser (as they are full time 4wd with centre diff lock).
That's stooping a bit low isn't it?

In my mind, a rear diff locker wouldn't be harsh on the awd system unless your hammering the car to the point that the rear inside wheel starts to spin causing the outside wheel to lock (this is from what i've read from articles posted on this thread). And to do that as far as i'm concerned would be a pretty hard thing if your driving normally.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

And i would love one of these but will have to wait for my bank balance to grow up from being a uni student :(

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:55 pm

Fang wrote:I have been told that the problem is when the car is on pavement - it will not interact well with the gearbox. Dirt would be no problem.
The fulltime Subaru gearbox already has a centre differential to allow for different wheel speeds front-to-rear. How is a traction aid in the rear diff going to affect this function? Say you pop one front wheel off the ground and that wheel spins. The other front wheel has lost all drive (because of the open front diff) so it stops. If you have an open centre diff then the rear wheels also lose drive and they stop. You're crossed up and your air-locker/detroit/LSD hasn't helped at all so yeah no problem unless you're relying on it. Now if you have a centre diff-lock or LSD then you're going to get all or some traction to the rear wheels and any of them in contact with the ground are going to transfer that traction to the ground. On a sealed road with the same centre LSD you will get the same effect. The rear wheels will be delivering equal amounts of traction to the ground instead of one slipping.
Phizinza wrote:I have thought about this. The thing that these lockers ("unlockers") do is let 1 wheel spin faster, say going around a left hand corner your outer right wheel will spin faster, but the inner left will spin the same speed as when going straight. The problem here is when going around that same corner the inner wheel normally slows...
WHAT? Tell me, how does the inside wheel slow down?
El_Freddo wrote:That's stooping a bit low isn't it?

In my mind, a rear diff locker wouldn't be harsh on the awd system unless your hammering the car to the point that the rear inside wheel starts to spin causing the outside wheel to lock (this is from what i've read from articles posted on this thread). And to do that as far as i'm concerned would be a pretty hard thing if your driving normally.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
You're wrong.
A detroit locker (or any auto-locker) is normally locked. When you corner under power it stays locked. When you back-off or coast around a corner you cause it to un-lock and allow the outside wheel to speed up. This is how it differs from a spool.

Return to “Subaru Chat”