2010 Diesel Drivetrain shudder

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 pm

skipalami wrote:Just an update. Got the shudder decelerating today. 5th gear as I was coming down through 2000rpm.

I hit 8000km this morning so the ECU would have initiated a re-cal on the fuel pump (service said it does one at 5000 and 8000 as the pump wears in).

Possibly related, maybe coincidence.
"As the pump wears in"? What a lot of garbage.

Tell them it's programming issue.
Regards

Gary ;)

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I havent spoken with service for a week or so as I am really busy at work and trying to find time to put the car in.

I was not trying to say that the pump wear in was the problem, I was just stating that the ECU performs a learning procedure at 5000 and 8000 on a parameter to do with the pumps wear and was it a co-incidence or not I got a new symptom at about 8000. Speculation, thats all.

For what it is worth, I also believe it is a programming issue, however until we start getting deeper into the analysis of the problem, there isn't alot of point me barking at Subaru about what I think. I need to let Subaru go through their own fishbone analysis of the problem to identify likely and unlikely causes.

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:52 am

skipalami wrote:I havent spoken with service for a week or so as I am really busy at work and trying to find time to put the car in.

I was not trying to say that the pump wear in was the problem, I was just stating that the ECU performs a learning procedure at 5000 and 8000 on a parameter to do with the pumps wear and was it a co-incidence or not I got a new symptom at about 8000. Speculation, thats all.

For what it is worth, I also believe it is a programming issue, however until we start getting deeper into the analysis of the problem, there isn't alot of point me barking at Subaru about what I think. I need to let Subaru go through their own fishbone analysis of the problem to identify likely and unlikely causes.
Sorry I meant the "what a lot of garbage" aimed at the Subaru service people.

I agree with everything you have said as well.
Regards

Gary ;)

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Definetly 5th gear 2000rpm @ 100km issue occurs. also have had 1800rpm on 6th gear @ 100km where it has occurred.

Do you think this is enough to take to Subaru?

Car drives great most of the time, but this makes it hard and not enoying it.

Not Happy Jan !!

The same problem

Post by Not Happy Jan !! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 am

Well I have the same problem as you all with the shudder !! It started shortly after 8000 Kms and I have now done approx 21000 Kms and still have the problem. The car has been in at the dealer for a total of 67 days on 3 occasions and the latest was a data collector which was fitted so every time the shuddering occurs, I press the button and the data would be recorded. It has only just been removed and sent to Subaru Australia so I will await an answer !!

Maybe the customer service manager will ring me !! yeah like that will happen !

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:43 am

Word has it there is a fix from FHI being developed. Don't know what or when, however the important thing is the Manufacturer is on the case.

Probably best at this point in time to talk to your respective service departments. If you have the shudder, bring it to their attention if you havent already.

I would like to go on the record again to state that my service department has been awsome in helping me out with this issue.

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am

[quote="skipalami"]Word has it there is a fix from FHI being developed. Don't know what or when, however the important thing is the Manufacturer is on the case.[/QUOTE

This is good news ! I assume your Service Dept told you this information ? Did they mention what they're actually fixing - A fuel pump issue ? I'm glad your Service Dept has been doing the job that every service department should be doing...Had my car now almost 12 months - 24,000k's - pity I cannot say it's been an enjoyable experience as every time I drive the thing I'm trying to avoid the shudder...

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:35 pm

skipalami wrote:Word has it there is a fix from FHI being developed. Don't know what or when, however the important thing is the Manufacturer is on the case.

I would like to go on the record again to state that my service department has been awsome in helping me out with this issue
This is good news ! I assume your Service Dept told you this information ? Did they mention what they're actually fixing - A fuel pump issue ? I'm glad your Service Dept has been doing the job that every service department should be doing...Had my car now almost 12 months - 24,000k's - pity I cannot say it's been an enjoyable experience as every time I drive the thing I'm trying to avoid the shudder...:mad:

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm

skipalami wrote:Word has it there is a fix from FHI being developed. Don't know what or when, however the important thing is the Manufacturer is on the case.

Probably best at this point in time to talk to your respective service departments. If you have the shudder, bring it to their attention if you havent already.

I would like to go on the record again to state that my service department has been awsome in helping me out with this issue.
Good to hear.

ECM update in the near future, I feel.
Regards

Gary ;)

Mess

Post by Mess » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm

My shudder is back with a vengeance today. Even gentle inclines in the 80-100kph range couldn't be driven in 5th, I had to do it in fourth. It can't be too much load on the engine, because it shudders badly immediately when the clutch is engaged in the gear. There isn't enough time for the engine to labour (not that it should at 100kph in fifth).

I will try to take it into the dealership on Monday and go for a drive with the foreman to demonstrate it.

Skipalami, would you mind giving me the name of your service centre, so that I can suggest mine contact yours to get the benefit of the diagnostic work already done?

Cheers
James

Doubtback

Post by Doubtback » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 pm

Skipalami, I too would like to find out the contact details for your dealer as I also would like my dealer to contact them.

Many Thanks.

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Your challenge should you choose to accept it.....

The best thing I managed to achieve in the demonstration of this fault was to have a section of road where I can induce the problem all of the time. In my case I can show it in 4th, 5th and 6th on my stretch of road. If you are yet to show the problem to Service, use your knowledge of what induces the shake and find a place near service where you can exite the vibration every time.

We all know when the shake starts it is unmistakable, so one demonstration should be enough (in my opinion) to convince any easonable minded Subaru Tech that things are not as they should be.

No more news since my last post BTW.

Good luck.

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Mr Skipalami, You have not noted your dealer, there are a few asking and so too am I. I am putting the car in for service in the next few weeks and would like this info to give to my dealer. does any one know if these discussions can be printed on paper as i would like to bring it along to the dealer.

Thanks all, I think we will get through this one day...

MY11OBD

Post by MY11OBD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:41 pm

MY11OBD wrote:Mr Skipalami, You have not noted your dealer, there are a few asking and so too am I. I am putting the car in for service in the next few weeks and would like this info to give to my dealer. does any one know if these discussions can be printed on paper as i would like to bring it along to the dealer.

Thanks all, I think we will get through this one day...
To print this use Tools show printed version and select show 40, this will give ability to print or export in format to provide to Subaru next time your there.:)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:42 pm

I think I know the problem ! Your Foresters are copying the Jeep in the ad where it shakes the mud off in the driveway after a mudrun , just trying to do it before it gets home :)

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am

As some have pointed out, I am yet to share the information regarding the Service Centre I am using. I am not being selfish, just cautious.

As you would all understand, I am genuinly concerned that if I give out the info in a public forum, they may be inundated with information & assistance requests, even if it is from within their own service network.

Doing this in my mind would be a breach of trust with the people who have provided me with a great deal of help with regards to this issue.

What I will do is contact them and see if they are ok with me providing their information privately and on a case by case basis.

I will post back within 24hrs.

suthol

Post by suthol » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

G'day all,

I've just joined after doing a search for DPF problems and was pleasantly surprised to see that others are havin both DPF and shudder issues.

I have a 07/10 diesel Forester and have 15K on the clock, I've had shudder since about 10K and the ECU now reset 3 times. The service manager has experienced the shudder and major flat spot at 2K RPM in my car and told me I wasn't reving it hard enough.

This is a diesel with a 4.5K limit not the sky high limit of a race car FFS.

On Monday this week the car stalled as I was changing down for a set of lights, up hill and in neutral when the stall occured the DPF has been a problem since.

I drive about 35Km each way to work with a mix of slow traffic and open road.

When the DPF came on yesterday I had 3/4 of a tank, was close to 1/2 a tank 20k's later.

Something is seriously not right and I'll have it back to the dealer on Monday or Tuesday next week.

skipalami

Post by skipalami » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm

I spoke with my service department yesterday and they requested that I not spread around who they are quite yet.

Not because they don't want to help, but because they are playing a part in trying to pin down what the issue actually is, so they may not be able to provide meaningful detail to your service departments at this point in time. These guys are true champions of the Subaru brand so they are very driven to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Note though that I said yet. Once they have got a solid handle on the issue (I am guessing along with Subaru Aust and FHI) they indicated that they would be willing for me to discuss it with them again.

In the meantine, I think your best bet is to take a printout of this thread to your service departments as a document to prove that there is a growing number of Diesel owners with the same problem. I indicated to my service department that there is a new shudder victim joining the forum roughly every week. I am guessing for every one person on this forum with the shudder, there is probably 3 to 4 more who havent posted.

That is the best I can do for now. Sorry I cant provide more.

ronsue

Post by ronsue » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi all, i have also had the "Shudder" problem. I'm relieved it's not just me and can be more confident next time I tell them about it. I have not had the shudder as regular as some of you but it nearly always occurs in 6th gear doing over 100k/ph on a flat road when I start to go up a slight incline, it loses power, the speed drops right off and I have to change gears down before I can increase speed again. It's not much of an incline and should easily coast by in 6th. It has happened to me once in a lower gear, 4th I think, and was really bad and obvious to all in the car. It did not happen for a few weeks, then got it again at usual spot, just after that the DPF light started flashing and 3 other lights came on as well. Took it to closest Subaru Dealer and the DPF soot accumulation was at 135% They did regen and was told it was not covered under warranty. They did the service as well cause he said that i would need oil replaced etc anyway. I had 20,000k on clock and was not due for another 5000k/2 months. I had no warning before this. The DPF light has only come on once before for a few minutes only, just a few days after the 12500 service. Have found your forum while looking up info on the Diesel Particulate Filter. the service guy said it needs to be driven at higher revs to burn soot, at least 15 mins continous driving without braking to clean dpf regularly. I think the shudder may be linked to the DPF?
I'm really annoyed they have not fixed this under warranty, I feel I have not done anything wrong, have had service on time, had no warning then suddenly light flashing. They have not said you have to drive at high revs when we bought the car and the light has not been coming on to show that it needs a burn.

drwormy

Post by drwormy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Today i shuddered.

My 2/11 compliance MY11 Diesel is 6 days old and has done 500 kms of fairly sedate motoring (as per the 1600 km run-in recommendations). Driving on Westall road (flat, 80 km/hr, lights every km) doing about 85 kms in 5th, cruise control on.

Felt a very noticeable stall-like shudder and saw the tacho go up and then down by say 20%. Kept going for a few seconds with decreasing intensity until i pushed in the clutch and reved it a little. Then it was fine. Fuel tank was full, had already driven 50 kms that trip. Most of my driving is 15 mins+. I have noticed it occasionally idle roughly at the lights, and once, right after i first got it, i almost stalled changing into 2nd going too slow and giving it a boot full (yeah dont say it).

Incidentally the dealer called me today asking how things were going. I told him i shuddered and he made a joke about not being interested in my personal habits. "No, the car i said" - i explained it and mentioned i just was reading a post over on subaruforester.org about it. He said it was the first he had heard of it, and we agreed it if happened again i should take it back in and they would look at it.

Then this afternoon Subaru Australia rang me re a satisfaction survey. I mentioned it to them also, but were sticking behind the fact that i had already told the dealer. Given im a brand new purchaser i might be in a good position to push this issue? ie i could claim its not fit for purpose?

I wonder if any of you guys that can reproduce the shudder would care to capture a movie of the tacho and speedo and utube it whilst shuddering. That would be really great for the rest of us whom have to try to convince skeptical service managers and different dealerships around the country.

Return to “Subaru Chat”