RIP brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:42 am

tommo wrote:Also here's a picture of the damage.
Looks like you were using two-piece torsion bar blocks. I have never tried them as they look a little less stable than a one-piece block. Also, with a single block, if you do break or lose one bolt, the other bolt stops the block from falling out. And for bush repairs, if you stick with steel blocks, in a pinch you can weld them in.
Bit of a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted I know, but it's food for thought. Most people 'wheel less than a days walk back for help, but when you're remote, little details can make all the difference.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear mate, I hope you find another brumby soon, other than the "little hiccup" it looks like you had a ball...
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

cooloothin

Post by cooloothin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:44 pm

bad luck mate. I'm sure the brumby will live.. mine has lived in 4 states just in the time i've owned it and been revived from wrecking once by me, who knows about it's prior history.

I'd say most of our vehicles are similar in that way.

looks like a freaky thing to have happen - luck of the draw. Long live the photos and memories.
RIP: stock '84 Sportswagon 4sp SR (sold after 13 years loyal service, to the wreckers for $100 :( )

'08 79V Forester X 5sp DR + subaxtreme bullbar, sump guard, Yoko geo ATS, kybs & 1inch kings (daily driver and go-anywhere tourer)

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:53 pm

Nice idea about the welding Brumbyrunner, i never though of that. It easier to file away a weld then, for the one time you might need to take the bolts out.... I might do that to mine to... (they already one piece block, but to be sure, as i am planning a big trip away...)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

dibs

bad luck i feal 4 u

Post by dibs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:17 pm

hi guys mrs dibs just found tommos pics in my life in images.im hoping to do that trip this year and yes in our brumby. shes been a few times with her x plus traveled most of out back.and wants to do more. so im preparing the little beast for a future of traveling.at the moment were putting in the factory airconditioner .then the beaf up starts. all the norm stuf nothing outrages. more like make it reliable.so much for now
dibs

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm

You should already know what you need to do to the Brumby, but if you need any help or ideas let me know, i know the road to the top and have lots of ideas to help out... When where you looking at going? As i am thinking about taking my ute up to?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

dibs

Post by dibs » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 am

hi guys
matts i dunno when were goin let you know when i find out more . i sorta know what to do just want other input mite help me n others find weak points in our cars . one thing i am flopin around in my head . what grade shosks to put in like not to hard but not to soft if ya know what i mean mite even do adjustable ones if there not to exy .most other stuff is comon sence
cars getin a lift 5 speed 14s lsd if i can get onethen just the campin stuff im also buildiny a fold out bed thing on roof/roll bars.(i found this realy lite sandwich plastic stuff strong as hell but lite as s&^&t ) waitin for more info on it guy in vic imports it so will be good for roof top bed.

dibs

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Dibs i think the best and cheapest thing to do is put on good shocks like kyb and most important is to let down your tyres on the dirt to around 20-25 lb

It will take out a lot of impact from corrugated roads

And don't overload the car

Return to “Subaru Chat”