subaru l series help

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
l series mad

Post by l series mad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am

plus wha engine oil can i try to stop tapping noise its a mpfi motor with 251000 ks on the clock an if oil dosent solve it will have to get it fix

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:04 am

search will come up with lotsa options including CAT Diesel oil. Diesel oil has a better detergent package than std cheaper car engine oil and in time may clean stuff out. The best way is not cheap but it is satisfying once you have paid off the new HVLA, installed and back to running again says me who has done that and new valve spring sets - like a new car !!

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:57 pm

ya my car isnt diesel i was thinking mayde a heavy er engine oil or light er 4 my subaru l series mpfi motor 251000ks to stop the tappets from tapping if it is tappets

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Check the tapper clearance but....
More likely to be hydrolic lifters.

Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:00 pm

cant check dont know how to im not tha mech minded lol but i know tha if it is hydrolic lifters its more expensive how can i make sure if it is or isnt hydrolic lifters ?

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:07 pm

To do the tappats you need the rocker cover off and then play around with feeler gauges.
Hydrolic lifters usually means an oil problem with them not necessarily the lifters themselves.
I believe to quiet them down playing around with oils and additives can work.
Or I'm told that it is the oil pump that just needs replacing.
This is only what I have picked up from others on here. By no means am I an expert or have done this.

Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:28 pm

l series mad wrote:...the origanal l series white star rims, does anyone know where i can get some in perth ?
They would have been an option at the time, not every touring wagon had them. There's a set on fleabay at the moment for a good price (in my opinion), dunno where they are or how much it would be to have them freighted in your direction. If you can track down a set of the infamous 14 inch scorpion rims they're good too - a bit of coin though and a lower profile tyre required. They look awesome on an L series!
l series mad wrote:does anyone know where an how much will it cost to get head line done ? cause its all loose an come undone inside the car
Mitchhsj wrote:do the head liner your self easy as, just pull the old one out and it will have a cardboard backing just pull the old crap off and apply some contact adhesive and some new cloth and away you goo..
^ That's about it. While I've not done it before that is pretty much the way I'd do it. The trick is to carefully remove the trim around the base of the roof liner, some slide forwards, some backwards - it'll be trial and error to work it out! :(
l series mad wrote:plus wha engine oil can i try to stop tapping noise its a mpfi motor with 251000 ks on the clock an if oil dosent solve it will have to get it fix
l series mad wrote:ya my car isnt diesel i was thinking mayde a heavy er engine oil or light er 4 my subaru l series mpfi motor 251000ks to stop the tappets from tapping if it is tappets
It'll be the hydraulic lifters. A couple of things here - replace the seals in the oil pump including the shaft seal. Place a spacer (no more than 3mm) behind the pressure relief valve spring to boost the oil pressure. These springs can lose their tension over time.

Cleaning the oil galleries and checking the springs in the cam box (quite a bit of work involved IMO) can help the lifters. While you're there prime each lifter and make sure when you replace them that the oil hole is "UP" so that the oil doesn't leak out. If you really want replace those that don't seem to do what they should as per the manual. Dunno how much they cost though.
Brumby Kid wrote:Check the tapper clearance but....
More likely to be hydrolic lifters.
No tappets. Hydraulic lifters ;)
Brumby Kid wrote:To do the tappats you need the rocker cover off and then play around with feeler gauges.
Hydrolic lifters usually means an oil problem with them not necessarily the lifters themselves.
I believe to quiet them down playing around with oils and additives can work.
There's no adjustment to be made. So that's out.

An oil additive could work. What steptoe was saying about the diesel oil was that it will clean the sludge from your engine as diesel oils have detergents in them. Some run these oils all the time, some run them for a short period such as 1000km or for a week...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:12 am

wha if the oil hasnt been change for a long while will a oil change fix the tapping noise cause i think the oil hasnt been change in 2 years max

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 am

neglect eh? Wouldn't be the first car to have that, first step is change oil, and I know it ain't Diesel but you sound like noisy lifters are your problem and Diesel spec oil can be a start due to its detergent package being better at cleaning out sludge build up in hydraulic valve lash adjusters better known as lifters. I ran Diesel spec 10W40 in a near new engine from 10,000 to 195,000km with great result, and when I spoke to next owner after six years were still pleased with the way it all ran...... was kept clean internally :)

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am

if u say is true wha diesel should i use an for how long ? mpfi motor 251000ks

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm

whats that ticking under my hood after i swich my car off ?

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 pm

l series mad wrote:whats that ticking under my hood after i swich my car off ?
A bomb

Or the engine cooling down?
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31 pm

sven '2' wrote:A bomb

Or the engine cooling down?
Our L does exactly the same, I always thought it was cooling down. Wondered why no other cars do it though :confused:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:33 am

hehehe it may be a bomb or a cricket who knows :)

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 am

cant wait to get rid of noisey tappets it will cost me $573 to get new tappets

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:16 am

Silverbullet wrote:Our L does exactly the same, I always thought it was cooling down. Wondered why no other cars do it though :confused:
lots of other cars do it! its not uncommon at all.
l series mad wrote:cant wait to get rid of noisey tappets it will cost me $573 to get new tappets
make sure you fix the problem, not a symptom. Bennie already talked about a solution. For me it was getting the oil pump shaft machined down a tiny bit to get a scratch out of it (someone with srewdriver removing the seal previously).

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:18 pm

l series mad wrote:whats that ticking under my hood after i swich my car off ?
sven '2' wrote:A bomb
Probably if it's an EA82! :p
sven '2' wrote:Or the engine cooling down?
I never thought anyone would think this was an issue. It's a little bit, only a little, like the old joke in the RAAF maintenance crews - issue: whining in cockpit area on engine shutdown. fix: remove pilot :lol:
Silverbullet wrote:Wondered why no other cars do it though :confused:
MTB92 wrote:lots of other cars do it! its not uncommon at all.
I would even say that new cars do it more than the older cars due to the thinner metals used in the exhaust parts.
MTB92 wrote:make sure you fix the problem, not a symptom. Bennie already talked about a solution. For me it was getting the oil pump shaft machined down a tiny bit to get a scratch out of it (someone with srewdriver removing the seal previously).
Many ways to skin that cat. Most frustrating too. The best one by far is an EJ :twisted: Here's a couple of things that could help out:

- cleaning out the oil passages in the oil rail above the cam - also check and clean the oil pressure relief ball and spring in this area (I think there's one in there)

- renewing the oil seals including the seal on the shaft of the oil pump - you can get a new shaft and rotor too if need be.

- increase the tension on the pressure relief valve spring by the way of a small spacer, I wouldn't go anything more than 3mm.

- run some diesel oil to help clean out varnish and other rubbish left in the engine due to poor maintenance and oil change intervals - I've not done this one but there are others that swear by it.

I think that's all I've tried out. Oil seals are key, if you've not done them do not bother with the rest until you have ;)

Cheers

Bennie

l series mad

Post by l series mad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:24 am

well the tapping noise is gone an i have done nothing but then again i might have spoken to soon we will see if it stays quite

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

l series mad wrote:well the tapping noise is gone an i have done nothing but then again i might have spoken to soon we will see if it stays quiet
If it's a typical EA82 - I doubt it, sorry!

But for your sake/love of your subi, I hope it does ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 pm

MTB92 wrote:lots of other cars do it! its not uncommon at all.
Well I must be selectively deaf, I've never noticed it on other cars...Now I'm going to listen to every car after shut off to listen for this noise :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Subaru Chat”