Lifted Lib. New Tyres - Speedo is out!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Hmm.... yeah I have electric speedo... I might ask Subaru wreckers if they have speed drive off the Outback's gearbox to see if it does make a difference wouldn't it?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

daza

Post by daza » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:31 pm

If you have an electronic speedo you can buy a kit from the likes of Jaycar, that goes between the box and the dash thats adjustable to correct the speedo.
Jaycar Kit $49.95
Daza.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:46 pm

if you have an electronic speedo you have an easy fix. see daza's post

if its cable, you need to change to outback speedo gears INSIDE the box. WAY not worth doing
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:22 pm

AndrewT wrote:Something is wrong with your car then. If you have bigger than standard diameter tyres then your true speed MUST be faster than what your speedo reads - digital or not.
You must be running a different ratio gearbox than the car originally had or something like that. Or your just mistaken...you need to check it out with a GPS.

Edit - btw Matt does your speedo operate by plugging into the gearbox? Or do those funky digital ones get a speed reading by some other method?
we are talking about my Lancer here not my subaru with its fancy digital dash that does still run on a cable. (and probly so does the lancer)
but neway i did check it with a GPS. thats how i no lol. on flat straight road with cruise set on certain speeds. which im yet to do to the suby as i keep changing tyres (i wonder why..i was only in RWD for liek a week or so).

im almost100% sure its the original box to :p in both cars
and there is nothing wrong with my car either lol.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:01 pm

pretty weird then...
larger diametre tyres means one revolution moves the car slightly more than it does with a smaller tyre - ie you cover more distance for the same engine revs - ie, you go faster. the engine/gearbox/speedo remain the same but your speed increases. therefore you go faster than what the speedo reads.

if you follow! :)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:17 am

how did this thread become about a lancer ffs ??
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 am

not EVERYTHING on a subaru site is going to be aobut subarus.

other cars operate in similair ways. and at first i was replying to the comment "sit just that little bit lower on the dash. we all have to live with this with bigger tyres."
clearly not all of us do coz i dont.

just becuase ur a subaru boy doesnt mean every1 on here is going to be a 'Subamaniac' and never own another brand of car.

and AndrewT yes i do follow wt u were sayin :D..and i understand but for some reason it just didnt work that way for my car :???:

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:43 am

Matatak wrote:not EVERYTHING on a subaru site is going to be aobut subarus.[\quote]

Sure it should ;)
Matatak wrote: other cars operate in similair ways. and at first i was replying to the comment "sit just that little bit lower on the dash. we all have to live with this with bigger tyres." clearly not all of us do coz i dont.
Two points of interest here.

a) my dad's CE(?) lancer wagon reads 6.7% faster than what it travels with stock tyres on at the moment, so even if slightly bigger tyre diameters were to go on then it is conceivable that it would still read fast rather than slow. Two throw in my mandatory Subaru link here, my Liberty wagon is more than 6 years older and has 2.5x the km on it but is still nicer to drive :)

b) You mention you have put larger tyres on the lancer? What size are they, and what size were stock?
SUBYDAZZ

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 am

Alex wrote:remember that manufacturer's are allowed a 10% discrepancy between the dial's speed and the actual speed.

alex

Not entirely correct anymore. As of June 06 build cars I think they are not allowed to read slower than actual speed at all.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:58 am

Lightning_Silver_RX wrote:Not entirely correct anymore. As of June 06 build cars I think they are not allowed to read slower than actual speed at all.
Hmm, interesting. Where'd you find that Wilbur?
SUBYDAZZ

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 pm

SUBYDAZZ wrote: Two points of interest here.

a) my dad's CE(?) lancer wagon reads 6.7% faster than what it travels with stock tyres on at the moment, so even if slightly bigger tyre diameters were to go on then it is conceivable that it would still read fast rather than slow. Two throw in my mandatory Subaru link here, my Liberty wagon is more than 6 years older and has 2.5x the km on it but is still nicer to drive :)

b) You mention you have put larger tyres on the lancer? What size are they, and what size were stock?
a) yer pretty much what im thinking has happened. cant be another way to describe it really.

b) stock (well ones i took off) were only little 175/70 R13's
and i went up to 195/65 R14's.

huge difference in the tyres. (in positive ways)

i shuld probly stop tlaking about this now. dont want to anger ne1 else.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:14 pm

daza wrote:If you have an electronic speedo you can buy a kit from the likes of Jaycar, that goes between the box and the dash thats adjustable to correct the speedo.
Jaycar Kit $49.95
Daza.
THAT IT!!! That is what I am looking for.. Has anyone got this fitted?
Thanks guys for helping out...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

subanator

Post by subanator » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:54 pm

I dont think anyone has mentioned this so far in this thread, Scangauge II, http://www.scangauge.com/
I believe reading this on another site that this diagnostic tool has the ability to correct the computer (speedo) to tyre size. I know this is a bit more expensive than the Jaycar kit, but it is such a versatile tool. I dont want to hijack this thread about this tool, please start another one to discuss about it. I just thought it would still be an alternative.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:16 pm

that wont work with his car mate

subanator

Post by subanator » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:35 pm

vincentvega wrote:that wont work with his car mate
There website quoted the '95 Subaru Legacy, as long as it has a OBD II plug you can hook in.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:23 am

Yeah I've seen these above... not really something i would be looking for/buying if in that case i wouldnt have bought it and would have said to myself "put up with it at these speeds" but I am gonna buy that kit from JayCar and give it a go.
(I used to have one of these in one of the cars in the past (abt 5-6 yrs ago) - must've been previous owner fitted it in and I should have taken it out but I didnt know much about them...)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:49 am

A 96 lib wagon is not a 95 legacy and does not have OBD2

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:41 am

Matatak wrote:a) yer pretty much what im thinking has happened. cant be another way to describe it really.

b) stock (well ones i took off) were only little 175/70 R13's
and i went up to 195/65 R14's.
5.8% larger - so will read 5.8% lower than it did before. So yeah, if the speedo was out the same as this other lancer (reading 6.7% too high), it would be reading closer to the real speed than it did originally, but still reading a fraction high (about 1km/h). ;) Out of interest, what did the GPS read when the speedo was at 100km/h on the Lancer with the bigger tyres on. Did you measure with the stock size?
SUBYDAZZ

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:40 am

SUBYDAZZ wrote:Hmm, interesting. Where'd you find that Wilbur?

Its an ADR. Nissan sent me a tech bulletin about it as lots of patrol owners (ones with GPS's) were having a moan. If its within ADR spec we don't fix it.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:51 pm

I've done some research and agree.

After June 2006 at the conditions specified in ADR18 (eg: vehicle at tare weight on dry level test track with stock everything) speed reading must not be lower than actual speed and must be in the range of:

0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 6 km/h;

where V1 is speedo reading, and V2 is actual speed. So from this the speedo can read low by slightly more than 10% at 40km/h, 80km/h and 120km/h.

In theory the maximum error can be 10km/h (25%) at 40km/h,
14km/h (17.5%) and 18km/h (15%) at 120km/h. Mopeds must have more accurate speedos than normal passenger vehicles and the +6 in the forumla is only +4.

Well there you go. :) Have been unable to find earlier ADR for pre June 2006 thus far.

Link here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... nline.aspx

Interesting to note there have been a lot of changes and new and expired ADRs over the last few years.
SUBYDAZZ

Return to “Subaru Chat”