Buying a Brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Jack

Buying a Brumby

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi, just joined this forum. :)

Next month I'll be taking delivery of an 89 model brumby, which I'll be using as a daily driver as well as the odd weekend camping trip (state forests, national parks, etc). Earlier this year it had the 2" scorpion lift, got raised king springs, alloy bullbar, challenger canopy, scorpion 14" rims with 27" offroad tyres.

Mechanically it is stock and the engine /gearbox seems to be okay. I've read its service history and it's obviously been looked after by its owner. Seemed to be a good buy at a reasonable price so I decided to buy it.

:?: A question for the brumby gurus on this forum: Is there anything else you recommend I should consider doing to get the most out of the vehicle?

Can anyone recommend a friendly 4WD club in Brisbane which would welcome a novice offroader and his Brumby?

Thanks

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:40 am

Welcome to the forum. You r in the right place as a fellow brumby owner, you couldn't ask in a better forum. i attained a bonus 10 Kw from kitting the carby($30), Iridium spark plugs($20 each), 2 &1/4" exhaust($200), Bosch super sports Ignition Leads($25), Dizzy rotor and cap($39), new air filter and patience. Thats 10 Kw more than they were released with and after 286,000 kms. If you want super power, talk to Lew. he has a killer brumby. STI running gear I believe. If you want reliability, the above list and Castrol Magnatec.
Of course this is only an opinion.
What did you pay for it by the way? i got mine for $3400 with no canopy.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:17 am

was the castrol magnetic worth 1/2 of the 10kw power gain? was this measured on a chassis, engine or pants dyno?

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:01 am

http://ausubaru.com/main/modules.php?na ... opic&t=747

I think the gain was more of a recovery than anything, but a slight improvement was had and thats what oil I have used for 5 years now.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:31 am

Magnatec... pfft. I sell that garbage at work, and I'll never ever use it. Castrol as a company make third-rate products, and the funny thing is it was their own product demonstration evening I was invited to that showed me that.

Welcome to the forum Jack. As wildhorse said, you are in the best place for your Brumby. Reading through the list of mods on your little ute-to-be I'm impressed. My only apprehension about that car would be the raised springs, they alter the CV angle a bit too much and cause premature wear. That said, they'd be the reason the 27's fit with the 2" lift.
Performance options for your Brumby are listed here

You'll also hear us reffering to the MY models, these are basically the model your Brumby is, but includes hatch, sedans, wagons and coupes too. I have 3 :D

Anyway, I think you'll find this a great resource. Only other tip I can really think of is before asking a question, have a quick search to see if it's been asked before. The old board had like 300 topics asking about EJ20T conversions, it'd be nice if this board didn't go down the same path :)
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:44 am

each to their own Tim. Nice collection of cars there too.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:56 am

Hi Jack you can join the Subaru club of Queensland they go on trips all over the place forest beach there web site is http://www.subaclub.com hope it helps. Jan

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Yes I've used the search function and gleaned some interesting info. Even though the brumby has done 300,000km, it seems to be in good nick and a mechanic I trust has had a good look over and given it the thumbs up. I paid $5000 (one owner, no rust, no dents, straight body, new tyres, very well looked after vehicle with receipts).

I was thinking last night about the 27" tyres and diff ratios. What's the general consensus - should I keep the standard ratios or change them to something else?

What is available in the way of tractons aids (rear LSD / locker) for my model brumby?

I've read lots and lots about subaru's wearing out CV joints quicker than a person can eat a hotdog, but I surely a 1" suspension lift couldn't alter the geometry that much. :?:

I'm inclined not to do any engine mods at the moment - I want to drive it for a while to learn what it can do / can't do before I make any decision. When it comes to engine maintenance I'll most likely continue the regime that the previous owner has done - he's owned the brumby for the last 16 years so what he's been doing must be okay. :)

I'm all tied up for time in December & January so I'll have a look at the subaclub in February. At the moment, my son and I are more inclined to venture inland rather than spend hours / days driving up and down a sandy beach. We've never been to Cameron Corner and that destination is high up on our list of places we want to visit.

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:10 pm

sounds like fun for you and the boy jack. Is something my boy and I should be doing more of... i mean doing any of. Enjoy the forum and absorb the wealth of knowledge these guys and girls share freely.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Welcome to the forums Jack!

Your brumby sounds pretty good, and already has a lot of good modifications done already.

Check out that link that Tim has given you. Very very cheap, simple and reliable modifications, that won't put any greater significant strain on your motor.

In the ways of traction aids, best and easiest way is to source an L series RXTurbo rear diff, as they are Clutched LSD. Assuming your ratios are 3.7:1 (most common ratio on brumby), this is simply a matter of bolting it in - no fab work required.

1" Can yield an unbelievable amount of stress to your drivetrain. I have a 3" Lift kit in my L series, and decided to increase just the strut tops to 4". Ever since I did that, I broke many driveshafts!! Went back to 3" Strut tops, and the car seems happier. Even the shaft angles are something to be seen to be believed when increasing springs/struts by an inch.

Chances are your king springs are of standard height... they increase the height back up an inch to factory (read: 1989) height levels. The standard springs are quite soft and saggy, and it most well be that the standard height spec king springs (which are 33% stiffer than standard) have restored your brumby back to its original height.

You would be well suprised of your brumby's current capabilities. I would highly reccomend joining the QLD 4WD Subaru club, one of the only Subaru 4WD Clubs remaining in Australia that are Subaru purists. The NSW club is now mostly full of non subarus, and I find it quite annoying that I attend this club's meets for offroading my subaru, yet I was being put down by members of the club, that drive non subarus for owning one.

They also seem to have some exciting and interesting meets. One of the reasons I'd like to move up on north :lol:

Again, welcome to the forums, I hope you find them entertaining and informative

cheers

Alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. :D

I'll post a pic of the brumby in the next day or so. Who here is an active member of the QLD subaru club?

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:36 am

I am a member of the Suba Club Qld. Next meeting is on 23rd January 2006. Come along.
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:44 pm

Here are a couple pics of my Brumby...

:D :D :D

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:49 pm

dwayneb wrote:I am a member of the Suba Club Qld. Next meeting is on 23rd January 2006. Come along.

Thanks for the info, but I can't make the January meeting. I plan to be at the February meeting. :)

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:31 am

4th Monday of the Month
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Nice ride height. Really sits well. Well done on the purchase

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:22 pm

wildhorse wrote:Nice ride height. Really sits well. Well done on the purchase
Thanks. :D

One thing I'm not sure about is if it's okay to run with the standard diff ratios, or if I should change them due to the 27" rubber?

What's your thinking about this?

smoov

Post by smoov » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:46 pm

Jack wrote:
wildhorse wrote:Nice ride height. Really sits well. Well done on the purchase
Thanks. :D

One thing I'm not sure about is if it's okay to run with the standard diff ratios, or if I should change them due to the 27" rubber?

What's your thinking about this?
not terribly much you can do. finding a 3.9 dual range transmission with the good low range is rather difficult, especially in the five speed, (which would be the only worthwhile conversion for you)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:49 pm

Smoov, I'm confused by your post.

The term diff ratios to me refers to the front and rear diff cogs - nothing to do with gearbox or transfer case. My Brumby has a 4 speed manual (dunno what diff ratios it has), but I would have assumed the automatic version would have different diff ratios to the manual?

Just how different is the Brumby's front and rear diff when compared to a L series wagon's diff?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:03 pm

For lack of a more long winded and less concise explanation:

The front diff is part of the gearbox dude.

Return to “Subaru Chat”