RIP brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tommo

RIP brumby

Post by tommo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 am

Hey,
just got home from my trip up cape york today... brumbyless.
some of you may have followed as my brother asked for advice on here after I snapped a bolt at either end where the torsion bar's attached to the body.

I did get to the top of australia, and was on my way back down (about 130km south of bamaga when it happened.)
The problem is the tow back to bamaga cost me $750. Now without the tools to extract the remains of these bolts and a mechanic who couldn't even tell me when he could give me a quote and no where really to stay in Bamaga, I decided to cut my losses and sell the car.

Not sure if it was the right thing to do but I couldn't see myself having enough money to get it fixed up there and sure as hell not enough to get it shipped down here to fix myself.

So there you have it, hopefully the young fella that bought it off me will fix her up and look after her like the damn good brumby she is.
On a lighter note, I had a wicked time on the way up and have lots of pictures to remember her by.

There's videos of some of the creek crossings too but I'm still editting them and stuff.

Also I'm lookin for a new subaru to buy so if anyone in or around Brisbane has a brumby, MY wagon, L series or even sherpa for sale let me know please.
Cheers,
Tom.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:09 am

Damn mate, we if only it happened closer to this end and i could come and rescued you After all that work you put into it, to have to do that over 1 little bolt... Good luck find another one. Have you got pictures of the bolt? Turns out i might have been going up on the 18 Sep on my bike.... I could have done the rescue mission for you, but i can't get time off work.....
Did you go down Gunshot? Got an pics of it?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Oh man that's terrible news :(

How much did you get for it ?
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:13 pm

Bugga.. not good at all.. So it was undriveable? I had one of the torsion bar to body bolts break and I lost part of the lift with it, it was a huge pain in the butt to fix. I only noticed it was gone when I was washing the car.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

tommo

Post by tommo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:31 pm

I got a meazly $1000 for it, which meant mainly towards the cost of the tow.
Not completely undrivable but the tailshaft was grinding against the torsion bar that'd sprung down and I doubt the two remaining bolts, bent as they were would've lasted long.
One of the bolts must've broken a fair way back, cuz where I broke down i found one bolt and lift block but I walked almost a km back up the road and couldn't find the other one.
I'm interested to hear that it has happened to someone else though, hadn't heard of it happening until now.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Mate, there's a nice little brumby up here in Toowoomba I saw out on Bridge street on the way to Oakey...They are asking $6,000 or ono. It looks like its been resprayed and has sunraysias on it. I have some photos and details on my phone somewhere if you want to look into it. I thought it looked real neat and tidy..and it was straight..no dings or marks..white..it was a private sale. It was still there yesterday.. and there's always a few on ebay...

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:11 pm

jeeze that really sux. That was a nice looking brumby you had there, love the targa top! Good luck getting another

timmo
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Mate...here's the one I saw in Toowoomba with details ....I took the photos for my son but he's looking for a tray back apparently..this car was still there yesterday arvey...
[ATTACH]318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]319[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]320[/ATTACH]

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:56 pm

Do you have number of the bloke you sold it to? I might have to go up on the bike and fix, and drive it back!!!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:24 pm

I feel like we have left a man behind.

So sorry to hear of the news.

If it was stuck at the other end of Oz (southport) I would help in a heartbeat.

I feel a little guilty though, just frustration for you maybe.
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad luck tommo.
I also feel like we could have done more to help you but if it's any consulation I think you did the right thing.
And don't blame yourself for taking a non-proper 4WD to the cape. Mazda took new 929 sedans up there and also be aware that plenty of "real" 4Wds come to grief and have to be shipped home at great expense. I could give you plenty of examples.

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:00 am

man i feel soo sorry 4 ya hey i dont think i could leave my car behind
but i hope u can find another 1

n yer do u have a pic of these bolts so i can make sure mine are OK
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:18 am

Holly s#*t Tom sorry to read that i think you did the right thing tho

I think Luke did the some sort of thing in his brumby

Great pics look like you had a good time apart from that will take soon

Jan

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:16 am

Surely is a shame the people you dealt with up north did not have the true Aussie spirit of helping others in distress - other than making a business out of it :( . One consolation must be (allowing for some grieving) your little ute ain't exactly dead. Some of these utes must have a life a bit like Paulie in the movie of same name - over a long time, many owners in many varied locations. Living outside the nations capital I wonder where mine has lived. It has a battered tray and a towbar fitted in Moree.

Lets hope you come out the better in the next deal, say a Brumby with a dead fusible link - going cheep and a cheap fix !!

tommo

Post by tommo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks everyone, I had a feeling you'd all be as heartbroken as I am. :P
Matt, the guy's name I sold it to was Jack Wyatt, he works up there at Bamaga spares and repairs in the dry season. His intentions were to fix it up and keep it for himself. But I guess if he doesn't it'll retire in the wreckers there.
When I was waiting on the side of the road for the tow truck another brumby passed me and pulled over for a chat. Two guys with a non lifted, 13" wheels with road tyres who'd made it to the top no worries. I think I just got really unlucky, cause until this happened I was doin some amazing 4wding in that car.
Anyway, all good things come to an end, unfortunately it'll probably be a while before I can afford another brumby and all the modifications that go with it, cause they do hold their value these little cars.
Thanks again.
Tommo.

tommo

Post by tommo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Also here's a picture of the damage.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:27 pm

The really scary thing is i snaped that exact same bolt in mine, when i was installing my lift kit!!! I had to redrill and tap it! it was a bit painful due to the case hardnered bolt but i did get it done..
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Far out man... i really feel for you. I have never seen that happen before.

I guess random stuff can always happen.... i don't know what i would do if i was in your scenario but i certainly understand why u did what u did.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

92 brumby

Post by 92 brumby » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:10 pm

man what a shame sorry to hear hey but i think you did the right thing hope you get another brumby soon

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:29 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Far out man... i really feel for you. I have never seen that happen before.

I guess random stuff can always happen.... i don't know what i would do if i was in your scenario but i certainly understand why u did what u did.

Dave
if u eva thought bout sellin the hatch i would drive up there n resccue u
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Return to “Subaru Chat”