converting a brumby to RWD only

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
subie_1st_timer

converting a brumby to RWD only

Post by subie_1st_timer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm

is there a differnt front hub with spindle that can be put in to allow a brumby to only run with RWD only?

got offered a new motor tonight and to use it, means running only 2wd but obviously you take the front drive shafts out you got no spindle etc so... there a way around this?

im just throwin ideas out here atm but can anyone offer any ideas?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Why do you want to convert a such a practical and versatile 4wd utility to 2wd?

You can remove the shaft from the CV leaving just the spline that holds the hub together so you can leave your box in 4wd mode and give you RWD

But why?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Yeah if you really want to downgrade your car and remove the main "subaru" feature, just leave the outer CV in there and remove the driveshaft - pretty much a 5 minute job.

Why does your choice of motor affect whether you run 2wd or 4wd?

subie_1st_timer

Post by subie_1st_timer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:50 am

AndrewT wrote:Yeah if you really want to downgrade your car and remove the main "subaru" feature, just leave the outer CV in there and remove the driveshaft - pretty much a 5 minute job.

Why does your choice of motor affect whether you run 2wd or 4wd?
i was thinkin about just leaving the outer cv in there but wasnt too sure if it was totally possible.

the idea/s thrown out there was to fit a small block 8 for burnouts or an sr20 and use the car on a track and make the most of the 4 wheel independent suspension (i love the handling as is!) but.... like i said.... was just throwin an idea out there so before everyone jumps around pissin in their tea dont get all upset.... was just a thought:rolleyes:

cheers for the replies

tex

Post by tex » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 am

Your choice but I'll swap you a wagon for your brumby rather than waste it hell i'd even turn it into a dual cab. But curious subaru make such a wide range of engines why swap it for a V8 or rotary they are reliable cheap to run and performance options coming out from everywhere.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:38 pm

You could.. but I'm against the idea since the rear CVs & diff wouldnt be able to cope... I just wouldnt bother anyway, grab AWD anyway.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 am

A V8 in a Brumby with no front driveshafts would certainly do a mean burnout, but the handling you so love would be thrown out the window with the added weight (unless maybe if its a light alloy V8 block and a very small one). Also if you change for a rwd only gearbox like a traditional kind of Supra 5spd or something you'll probably be shifting the weight further back and changing the handling characteristics even more.
Would be a laugh but again, it would pretty much ruin all the Subaru'ness which is what makes it a good car in the first place.

seagull

Post by seagull » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:02 am

I build the gear boxes for Scott in Perth who does the burn out comps in his leone . The motor is a EJ20 legacy & power goes to the back via the wrx / liberty gear box . The center diff is removed & a female my cv is cut down & weld to the center diff , there is a bit of machining to be done to make this & then weld it up . for the next burn out comp I build a box with no 1st gear & not front diff at all . I removed the front diff to get some extra oil in the case . Then machines some covers for the front out put shafts , then put a big bolt & sleve to clam it all together . The rear diff is a plated LSD . I think scott as killed around 11 gear boxes & 7 diffs & three motors .

all in good fun

I have a nissan Vg30 det motor here mthat I am mount to a power glide , this will go in the next RWD project making 600hp at the rears it will be turning 10.5 R15 4x4 tyres

subie_1st_timer

Post by subie_1st_timer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:34 am

AndrewT wrote:A V8 in a Brumby with no front driveshafts would certainly do a mean burnout, but the handling you so love would be thrown out the window with the added weight (unless maybe if its a light alloy V8 block and a very small one). Also if you change for a rwd only gearbox like a traditional kind of Supra 5spd or something you'll probably be shifting the weight further back and changing the handling characteristics even more.
Would be a laugh but again, it would pretty much ruin all the Subaru'ness which is what makes it a good car in the first place.
wonder wat a 1UZFE toyota V8 would be like being an all alloy 4ltr. pick them up with an auto really cheap and wouldnt be excessive in weight compared to a cast iron lump like the big block in my XA. I know will take away from the greatness of Subaru'ness, but also be cool to do something different as i love the little bugger of a thing and even if i get another vehicle, id like to keep the brumby as a toy..... And a V8 brumby burnout beast would be so much fun:twisted:

Any pics or vids of that leone in action?????

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:36 pm

I've read somewhere that someone ran a standard Brumby in RWD and it was terrible onroad as the rear always stepped out due to no weight. I've talked to people in the US with RWD wagons and they say its fine.

Why go to all the trouble of machining a Subaru gearbox for RWD when you could use L series 4WD gear in the Liberty casing? You might shred the 4WD gear after a while but they are easy to replace. Or weld the centre diff?
Theres a guy in the US who does burnouts in his L series with an EJ20T running through a standard L series 5sp and clutch, it was still strong after a year then he sold the car. I saw a video somewhere of it..

If you want a burnout car, I'd say get a Nissan it's what they are built for. Or a holden?
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:15 pm

My 10 cents worth.

There is an article in a past fast fours mag I think it is, where a brumby has a WRX motor implant but the guy opted for rear wheel drive only. It was a feature article along with a little datto ute that has a rotary engine. I can dig it out if you wish, my son has the magazine and I'm sure he still has it. I remember reading the article and thinking that's different and can't remember why he did it this way, less hassles I guess.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Highly recommend doing this if you don't offroad a Brumby!
Drives really well, handles weight in the back without loosing steering or the front wheels lifting off the ground.
Rear end steps out nicely in the drive and shit scary in the wet!
Rear diff bushes flog out pretty quick if they haven't been changed. Ran like this for 6months..

Return to “Subaru Chat”