14 Inch Sunnies front Brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

14 Inch Sunnies front Brumby

Post by Gazza01 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I am going to fit 14 inch sunnies to front of my 2 inch lifted Brumby, however Im told that I should have a special adaptor or plate fitted between the bigger centre dia of the 14" rim and the 4 lugs on the centre of the front hub. Can anyone tell me what I need and where I might get them.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 pm

sorry , this does not quite make sense to me , have "they" explained what is this adapter is actually for ?

1) If the wheals are 4 stud 140pcd then they should bolt on OK, if the wheels are some other stud (either 5 or 6 stud) or a different 4 std spacing, then you are looking at adaptor spacers which are very expensive and not on road legal.

2) If the wheel offset are such that they need to move out further from the hub to clear calipers, then you are looking for simply spacers ( essentially washers with stud holes in them ) which are also on-road illegal , and may also require longer studs inserted into the hubs to give the lug nuts enough thread to hold on too.

berttus

Post by berttus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:59 pm

You are talking about a centre bore locator. The centre bore in the new wheel is larger than the diameter of the hub and the CBL is used to support the wheel from the centre. They are not strictly necessary but definitely recommended as without them, the weight of the car is suspended on the studs. I doubt you will find an off the shelf product to fit and may need to make them.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm

berttus wrote:You are talking about a centre bore locator. The centre bore in the new wheel is larger than the diameter of the hub and the CBL is used to support the wheel from the centre. They are not strictly necessary but definitely recommended as without them, the weight of the car is suspended on the studs. I doubt you will find an off the shelf product to fit and may need to make them.
Yes:oops::oops: +1 - I forgot this

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

I have sets to do this. They are made from alloy billet and are turned on a lathe using a hub for the correct diameter for inside ring and a lip that sits on the inside of the rim so when you tighten the wheel nuts they stay straight and the rim locates on the hub properly. Takes the shake out of the steering too.

sublime

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Brumby hubs are lug centric not hub centric, so no centre bore locator is required.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

phil nelis

Post by phil nelis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Get a sunraysia rim then and fit it to the hub and you will see that a 110mm centre bore is crap loads bigger than the 93mm locating lug to lug measurement. Then come back and tell me there is no gap cause i`ve got 5 sets of these rims and not one fits on the lugs.

sublime

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:36 pm

phil nelis wrote:Get a sunraysia rim then and fit it to the hub and you will see that a 110mm centre bore is crap loads bigger than the 93mm locating lug to lug measurement. Then come back and tell me there is no gap cause i`ve got 5 sets of these rims and not one fits on the lugs.
Let me explain this another way, the Subaru pattern of 4 x 140 was designed many, many years before hub centric wheels were introduced. The locating 'tabs' found on later Brumby and L Series hubs/rear drums do not make the design hub centric, they are lug centric or 'wheel stud' centric. The centre bore size of the wheel is not relevant like it is for modern designs.

Why would I bother arguing about wheel bore size?
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 pm

phil nelis wrote:Get a sunraysia rim then and fit it to the hub and you will see that a 110mm centre bore is crap loads bigger than the 93mm locating lug to lug measurement. Then come back and tell me there is no gap cause i`ve got 5 sets of these rims and not one fits on the lugs.
Yes there is a gap - mostly on Brumbies no-one really cares about it as the original wheels did not locate on the axle stub but just on the lugs ( at least i think that is the case) - but this site at least suggests we should care - at least a little bit

understanding_wheels hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels

and here are some product samples

Various rings

But you've got 5 sets of Sunraysia rims none of which fit on the lugs ????

what do you mean by lugs ?

I thought lugs were either lug nuts that go on the wheel studs, or for BMW, Mercedes-Benz, some Pugs, Saab, Volkswagen they were lug bolts that screw into the tapped (threaded) hole in the axle hub or drum brake or disc.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:28 pm

Huh well you learn something new everyday for sure. I've never taken any notice of this hub-centric centre bore, my wheels have always been located by the taper on the lug nuts and never had a problem. If one of the links above is to be believed it seems like hub-centric wheels are more important on more modern higher tech suspension setups, perhaps not so important on our more agricultural old Subaru's. But then again if the adapter rings are available (would be easy to make on a lathe) the safer the better. I could just see someone being pulled over and defected for having wheel spacers if a cop saw them though, better paint them black :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Here be some clarification :

Edit : F**k the original image is to big - so have reduced it ( not mine sorry ) ... :p

Link to where original can be found : 60766244's 1990 Brumby Wheel-hub conversion from 4x114.3 to 4x140

Were talking about the lugs shaped like triangles ... the 'non' standard wheel with larger opening misses them altogether, hence the need for closing the gap ... :)

Will post an image of this when I find it ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

More rings ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks to Phil, who posted these :

Should do nicely ... :D

No idea where you get them though ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Ahh so neat and tidy, except for that image size Bantum :eek: They're so simple I might make a set for my wagon for whatever wheels I end up getting.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Subaru Chat”