Subaru / Subaru GL

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Parni_Brah

Subaru / Subaru GL

Post by Parni_Brah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi all, just brought another brumby which is a 91 model and it says "subaru GL" but my other good brumby which is a 88 model doesn't have the "GL"

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in and what the GL stands for/ what extras or something it has. I'm guessing it is a higher model or something ?

Cheers Sam

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:55 pm

It's just a different badge - there's no difference from what I've seen between different brumbys.

It's probably a badge from a sedan or wagon that was the GL model - the GL in the MYs (and L series) were the ones *generally* with carpet, different dash option, possibly power windows, AC/PS etc... The DL was the base model in the L series, that I'm certain on ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:17 pm

There were GL brumbies and they had more options like power steering aircon etc.

Ive seen a couple down here I do know both had the twin headlights , power steering and aircon.

Is the 91 model a twin headlight and does it have power steering or aircon?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:49 pm

TOONGA wrote:There were GL brumbies and they had more options like power steering aircon etc.

Ive seen a couple down here I do know both had the twin headlights , power steering and aircon.

I think we'll be chasing our tails on this one. Sunnie the Brumby had the Subaru GL rear badge. It's a quad head light targa brumby withOUT AC or PS - it was all bog stock except the targa roof.

The latest project is an '86 targa quad head lights, with the Subaru badge on the rear. It's got AC but that's it for options.

Cheers

Bennie

Parni_Brah

Post by Parni_Brah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:00 pm

TOONGA wrote:There were GL brumbies and they had more options like power steering aircon etc.

TOONGA
No it doesn't have A/C or P/S I can't see any difference between the two other then headlights.

Parni_Brah

Post by Parni_Brah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:02 pm

El_Freddo wrote:It's just a different badge - there's no difference from what I've seen between different brumbys.

It's probably a badge from a sedan or wagon that was the GL model - the GL in the MYs (and L series) were the ones *generally* with carpet, different dash option, possibly power windows, AC/PS etc... The DL was the base model in the L series, that I'm certain on ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Yeah I can't see any difference, thanks for the reply :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 pm

From my understanding, all MV1800 utes (including Brumby) were GL model. This meant they had wind up windows, vinyl floor covering and the standard dash assembly.

I've never seen them come with factory P/S but I know they had the option to have A/C fitted. Some models came with A/C already fitted by the dealer and had special stripping/decals on them.

I still haven't been able to work out what the differences in the headlights are, as I've seen later models with single headlights :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 am

When I bought my 91Brumby I went to Mildura to look at 2. The one I didn't buy just had the Subaru badge on the back. It was a 90 model with single headlight front & no options. What was very interesting was that it had never had a radio fitted. The hole in the dash still had plastic blankings that could be snapped out. Had been a winery hack for its life & was very rough despite only having 160000km on the clock.
The one I got has the gl badge & came with a/c, bullbar, tonneau & radio cassette player. Also has twin headlights, so maybe the decider between the 2 was the lights. The badges aren't really interchangeable as the indent in the tailgate is a certain length to suit each badge.

Cheers Jake

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:02 am

Mine had the twin headlights but with the GL badge.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Mine is a GL - Targa Top, with Twin Headlight + Aircon ... :)

See tag line for images ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Actually forgot to add those in, targa top & aircon!

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 am

My 88 Brumby was a GL, the RED BEASTIE has quad lights, targa top, bull bar, roll bar, tonneau cover, really slick grey vinyl floor covers, no AC nor PS, but I got a wireless!

The Red Beastie remained a GL until she was repainted now the badges sit proudly in the glove box, where I suggest they shall remain. Unless of course we verify GL really means- Galactic Lightspeed or similar.

Still can’t get my head around any real need for power steering in the Beasties!

Ray

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:13 am

Rodeo4jake wrote:The badges aren't really interchangeable as the indent in the tailgate is a certain length to suit each badge.
Not true, you just have to get the right badge 8) I've swapped Sunnie's badge from the Subaru GL to the SUBARU one and it fits in the exact same spot perfectly ;)

I can't remember if I pulled that badge from a wagon or a sedan, I would say a wagon...

Cheers

Bennie

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Oh righto, I thought they were longer with GL on the end, my bad.

Cheers Jake

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Wooster wrote: The Red Beastie remained a GL until she was repainted now the badges sit proudly in the glove box, where I suggest they shall remain. Unless of course we verify GL really means- Galactic Lightspeed or similar.
Lol ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am

Wooster wrote:Unless of course we verify GL really means- Galactic Lightspeed or similar.
NachaLuva wrote:Lol ;)
I did the same :)
Wooster wrote:Still can’t get my head around any real need for power steering in the Beasties!
If you drove her on the beach Ray, you'd want power steering.. makes a big difference. Holds better in the tracks and stops the steering wheel flinging out of your hand over the ruts but on the black top, you really don't need it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wooster

Post by Wooster » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Live at the beach mate! Beaches are for fishing & walking on & given the intergalactic lightspeed of the red beastie (probably should refer to her as redeye) full tillt on the sand would result in glass thus no need for assisted steering.

PS, my late grandfather (WW1 veteran) used the term redeye to keep a very young Ray away from the scary monster (Redeye) that lived in the dam near the house. Redeye would grab unwarry & waywould kids and drown them. Irish term I think......it worked!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

hahaha.. we don't want to turn sand into glass

I found with mine (and I've converted 3 of my personal ones) that once I've converted it, I would never go back but if I had guns like yours, then I wouldn't need it either :p

I know that you can drive these without it but if you have the parts, why not use them ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Bantum that look exactly like mine, minus wheels and bull bar that is :)

Return to “Subaru Chat”