Spring Lift

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Jens

Spring Lift

Post by Jens » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey all. Has anybody used or heard of using spring spacers to gain a small lift? Not the type that spreads the coils but ratherthe ones that sit between the coil and the spring base. They are readily available for all the popular 4wds and are used quite alot. Pros and Cons?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Just want to get out there, camping and fishing.:cool:

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Won't work with the strut and spring setup of a subaru.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 pm

With our Subies wheel droop would be limited by the struts doing it that way. You're much better off using a strut top spacer with camber offset
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 am

Subarus have stuff all droop anyway. You'll never get the suspension to perform like a patrol.

When you start mucking around with suspension lifts you'll also wear out cvs ALOT quicker. 1inch lifted springs or 1inch taller strut tops is all you'll get and maintain reliability

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Jens

Post by Jens » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 am

I see what you are saying. I was only thinking about 1" spacers. Wouldnt be any different than 1" longer springs, or would it? Dont need/want huge lift. Mainly daily, camping and beach use.:cool: Droop probably not a huge issue.
1" spacer would only make up for sag in 20 year old springs. What actually limits compression on these? is there ment to be bump stops on the shaft?

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm

A full set of king springs brand new is around $300?, not alot more than what a spacer kit would set you back. and the spacers are just compensating for something that is renewable and should just be replaced .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jens

Post by Jens » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm

A set of King springs might be the go. I had'nt priced them yet. From the little bit I have read on them I understand they have a higher load rating and would give you a little lift.8) Any idea how much lift and would it have much effect on camber?
Thanks for all the input.8)
I'm only looking for 1 to 2" suspension lift as I dont want to overstress cv's ect. Dont want to go to body lift because I'm not planing on running huge tyres. I have 185/75 14 on now and looking to downsizing to improve my gearing
(high and low range). Only running stock ea82, although it seems to pull ok.:-D
Cheers Jens

Jens

Post by Jens » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:15 pm

I cant believe the amount of negative feedback on such a simple idea as spring spacers when we are talking about trying to get a little bit of extra gain out of a $1000 car! I'm not trying to build a Patrol out off an old subbie as some of you seem to think. Just looking to find a cheapish way to get a bit more clearance in the sand ruts on the beach. You all need to remember that we are talking about 20+ year old cars that were never built as serious 4wd's. Some people add 2"+ kits, big wheels, engine transplants and transmission upgrades but are they accused of trying to build a patrol? No wonder a lot of newbies only post a few times and then leave. For the record I am nearly fifty Years old and have owned serious 4WD's, street cars,bikes and more. I do understand how suspension works. What's the difference between spring spacers and winding up the adjusters on MY or early L subies. All the dirt bikes/motorcross bikes I have owned have had spring preload adjustment. Same thing. Of course you have to take into consideration all aspects of these adjustments but thats what you always have to do with any mods. There seems to be a lot of self centered people on here that think that their way is the only way. Unlike some people on here I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on an old car (illegally most times) to build something that will perform no better than an old $1000 pajero.(Bennie, how much does your car owe you?) Don't get me wrong, I love old modified cars, I love old subies, but spending $5000 on an old subie don't make sence. I do all my own work on all my cars. I get all my bits at the best price I can. I have less than $1500 (including the car) invested in my subie and so far it has 2" lift(home made), big wheels, bullbar.UHF, roofracks and basket and is a super reliable daily driver,

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:38 pm

14 months pass between your posts. You asked a question and got an answer.
So how has the spring spacer worked? Sounds like you lifted instead.

Sounds like you have a nice car. The money is well spent. Congrats. Some people sink huge money into cars/other pursuits. Its about what makes you happy in life right? This forum is not for how you feel about where and how they spend their money.

So please enlighten us all on your experiences with the spring spacer lift in the last 14 months. Like you said there doesn't seem to be many that have tried it. Otherwise take your comments, 50 years exp to another forum.

Smokey

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Woa, more than a year later and then this rant? I didn't even think any of the posts above were negative or inflamatory :confused:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 am

Jens wrote:I cant believe the amount of negative feedback on such a simple idea as spring spacers
I havent seen any negative feedback, merely opinions...
I have less than $1500 (including the car) invested in my subie and so far it has 2" lift(home made), big wheels, bullbar.UHF, roofracks and basket and is a super reliable daily driver,
Thats great, we would love to hear how you went with the spring spacers ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Jens

Post by Jens » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Firstly, I would like to publicly apologise to Bennie for bringing him or Ruby Scoo into this post. He is one of the few that thinks outside of the box and does mostly all his own work. He also uses Rubie Scoo for what he built her for. For this he and Ruby Scoo have my respect and admiration. then he is good enouth to post his trip reports and photos.(maybe this forum needs a trip report section. I am sorry Bennie. Im not going to edit my "rant" post because it is what it is.
Now Smokie, If a post upsets you that much maybe its you that needs to find another forum, you didnt even post to the original question, only jumped in at the end.
Alex, Why wont it work with a subaru strut? Do you realy think that I assume a 1" lift will turn it into a patrol?
"1inch lifted springs or 1inch taller strut tops is all you'll get and maintain reliability" is what you said, is a 1" spring spacer not this?
It was a simple question to see if anyone had done this or similar. It could be a spacer between spring and baseor it could be a spacer between the spring base and the strut lugs that support the base.
And No, I havent done this so flame away!
But I might.

chinski

Post by chinski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm

my brumby has King springs fitted up front that have nuts that are adjustable to wind the baseplate under the spring upwards , can go maybe 30mm , would be exactly the same as a 30mm plate under the spring in theory
1986 Brumby with MY00 WRX engine :mrgreen:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Jens wrote:Firstly, I would like to publicly apologise to Bennie for bringing him or Ruby Scoo into this post.
Apology accepted mate. I decided not to post when I read this as I'd had a shit day at work and was ready to unleash something. I thought it was "a bit" unfair, glad you saw the same.
Jens wrote:Bennie, how much does your car owe you?
Not as much as most would think - it has so far been a 7ish year build... For a $500 vehicle it owes me nothing except another crazy good time offroad!
Jens wrote: Alex, Why wont it work with a subaru strut?
What I think Alex meant was that with a Patrol's suspension a one inch block with new shocks will raise the ride height and have no effect on down travel limitations.

With a one inch spacer on a subaru strut you restrict the down travel of the strut which then limits the small amount of wheel travel we have. If it's only a road going vehicle it's not so much an issue, but offroad I see it as limiting the vehicle's abilities that we're trying to maximise on.

If you're going to go with a one inch block you might as well make it an actual lift block for the strut to get the lift that way ;) I haven't heard about any one going with spring spacers on a subaru.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Jens

Post by Jens » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks Bennie. That is what I ended up doing. I made a 1" block out of a piece of !" thick nylon and put it on top of the strut. The right price and works well.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:31 pm

chinski wrote:my brumby has King springs fitted up front that have nuts that are adjustable to wind the baseplate under the spring upwards , can go maybe 30mm , would be exactly the same as a 30mm plate under the spring in theory
This is factory fitted on brumbies. AFAIK.

I had a 4" strut lift kit that I sold recently. It works. 2" spring extension and 2" strut.
You end up with about 1.5 degrees positive camber.
I think this is a better method than what you are describing.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:30 am

chinski wrote:springs fitted up front that have nuts that are adjustable to wind the baseplate under the spring upwards
Series 1 L's (85/86) had them too. Assume it was standard but I don't know for sure.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Smokey wrote:Series 1 L's (85/86) had them too. Assume it was standard but I don't know for sure.
Yeah it was standard. Removed on the later model ("series II" L's).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chinski

Post by chinski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm

ok cool i thought it was aftermarket that came with king springs, maybe i have king springs in original struts then, cheers :D
1986 Brumby with MY00 WRX engine :mrgreen:

Return to “Subaru Chat”