in need of more power in the wags....

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
scriptchip

in need of more power in the wags....

Post by scriptchip » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 pm

so i decided to start thinking of options to increase performance in my 2000 outback.
i ended up with the supercharger idea that subarino implemented. did a bit of reasearch and ended up with the sc12 (clutched)
i got a killer deal for a intercooler/bov/oil catch/boost gauge and the supercharger (refurbished) 450$$
A STEAL !

I know need to fill my brain with juicy knowledge on how it was completed and what were the main obstacles. my thinking is computer wise, how will the fuel managment system deal with the boost.

any input is good input.
~Subaru brumby 1990 - 14's , alloy bullbar , tow bar , 1/2inch rear diff bash plate. .... so far.
~ 2000 Outback - street project

Mothers vehicles.
2012 foz
1985 L series

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 pm

computer for sure, megasquirt is good option.
MS3X is the most recent and best. Google it.

air box will need to be moved and brackets for the charger made.
u will need a matching pulley and belt, piping for cooler , brackets.

seriously, before anything else, the computer and get the computer done
as u will have less variables to worries about while using it on a stock engine.
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

H-top

Post by H-top » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:13 pm

progress?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:15 pm

If you remove your ABS pump it'll fit perfect. That was the issue I had with fitting an sc14 to my forester.
I reckon the ej25 has.heaps of grunt, over the 2.0l anyway.
I had.it mounted just it hit the.abs pump and I wasn't prepared to remove it. Instead I'm dropping in an ej25 with a few.mods.

scriptchip

Post by scriptchip » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

i was looking into the megasquirt computers, i need mula before i continue.

how did you go about computers and such taza ? :)
~Subaru brumby 1990 - 14's , alloy bullbar , tow bar , 1/2inch rear diff bash plate. .... so far.
~ 2000 Outback - street project

Mothers vehicles.
2012 foz
1985 L series

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:39 pm

I wouldn't bother with another.ecu or tune.
Just add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and it should supply easily enough fuel. Enough so that it wouldn't lean out.
You going to upgrade the pulley to give more boost?

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:15 pm

taza wrote:If you remove your ABS pump it'll fit perfect. That was the issue I had with fitting an sc14 to my forester.
I reckon the ej25 has.heaps of grunt, over the 2.0l anyway.
I had.it mounted just it hit the.abs pump and I wasn't prepared to remove it. Instead I'm dropping in an ej25 with a few.mods.
ABS pump shouldn't be an issue in the outback, it wasn't with mine. And the sc12 is narrower so it should be fine. Otherwise just move the battery and window washer bottle and it would fit on that side easily.

+1 to a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You shouldn't need computer modification, but don't quote me on that one. I would recommend getting a tune done afterwards however.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 am

You will need a new computer because the ECU uses a MAP sensor and wont be able to calculate the extra airflow.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 am

scriptchip wrote:and the supercharger (refurbished)
Was that after the picture was taken?
scriptchip wrote:I know need to fill my brain with juicy knowledge on how it was completed and what were the main obstacles. my thinking is computer wise, how will the fuel managment system deal with the boost.
Very complexed setup and one you'll learn a lot from. I would search the net for supercharger setups and what needs to put in the system and where it needs to go. Mainly you'll need to create and area for 'blow off' so the s/c isn't put under too much stress once the throttle is closed or you'll end up bypassing the throttle and causing run on.
Gannon wrote:You will need a new computer because the ECU uses a MAP sensor and wont be able to calculate the extra airflow.
+1
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Hmmm... I thought the SC12 would be too small for the EJ25.

Hatchie gets away with factory engine management due to the Air Flow Meter and the O2 sensor from what I understand.

Talking to a mate about this setup for my EJ22 he reckons the way to go would be the factory turbo WRX loom with the SC as this ECU will have fuel maps for on and off boost. Sounds interesting but I'm not headed in that direction (yet if ever!).

Will you have the SC setup on the clutch system to flick it on and off or have an auto mode, and can the aftermarket management be setup with two fuel maps for SC on and SC off?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”