Stolen brumby

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I doubt this will help but I am very happy to hear your car has been found and in one piece.
Have you thought about buying it off the insurance company ?
They would sell it very cheap and you may be able to salvage it to your expectations and not the ideas of a wreckers or the like. In other words you get the final say in the cars life and not someone else.
My L200 was found under my "mates" house in a million pieces and took up the entire double garage at the police station.
A picture from the paper with one of the cops sitting next to it (the bad cop) is the only picture I have of the car.
Ironically, the bloke that bought it off the insurance company contacted me to buy the original bench seat from the car (my details given to the buyer by the insurance company). I had taken it out to put 2 bucket seats in. Anyway I was privilaged to see the car fully reassembled. Very weird. This was way before mobine phones with cameras so no pictures were taken (big regret)
What was very disturbing was the person who bought the car and put it back together lived DIRECTLY behind the person who organised the stealing of the car and where the car was found.
I did not say anything because people have families and familes should be protected. The bloke who stole it has a very good family and he was a very good family man. He also had a number of issues in his life at the time. I got my insurance money and the bloke who stole it gave me the excess so I lost nothing excect my mental state. Too much happened and this was an experience I do not want anyone to repeat.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 pm

What are you going to do with her? How bad is she?
I would be interested in some parts off of her IF you were going to part her out.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:16 pm

If insurance has paid out, the car is theirs, personal effects need to be returned to insured . Usually insurance companies give first option to insured to buy back

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 pm

berttus wrote:next car will definitely have a gps tracker in it.
What is a good system to install in a brumby?

purp

Post by purp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm

555Ron wrote:What is a good system to install in a brumby?
Not a clue, but I just had a look on eBay and there seems to be heaps in the $50ish range. Strikes me as pretty damn cheap (although you will need to have an active sim card in it for it to be any good, but I assume you could track down the cheapest pre-paid deal out there).

berttus

Post by berttus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:42 pm

555Ron wrote:What is a good system to install in a brumby?
My old man just bought one of ebay for about $80 to put in his 928 S4. It is the same as my uncle has in his 6litre Cobra. Says its works really well. Doesnt appear to be a specific brand, box just has "GPS/SMS/GPRS Tracker, Vehicle Tracking System". This one requires a SIM card.

As for the car, it had to go for forensic analysis so it will be tomorrow before i had really look at it properly, the quick look i had earlier, i could see most of the right front suspension/drive shaft was bent or broken badly.its had a hard hit. At this stage im probably gonna walk away and move on i think.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Noooo you can't do that.
If you do, I would love to know what parts you have that you might sell.
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

berttus

Post by berttus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Noooo you can't do that.
If you do, I would love to know what parts you have that you might sell.
Doesnt really matter how much you love a car, when someone steals it, it doesnt feel like your car anymore. If it came back in the same condition i honestly wouldve sold it anyway. Ill see what the RACV are asking for it but i doubt ill buy it back.

We did buy new front rotors, bearings and a couple of other things(have to check exactly what) that we have no use for now. They might be up for sale.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I know what you mean. My grandparents had there 200 series broken into while it was sitting in their driveway, right up against their house. ( they think they disturbed them)
Found it with the doors open, 4wd stuff stolen.
My poor grandma was really shaken up about someone else going through her car.
It feels so weird.
My First / Project car

2" body lift
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

berttus

Post by berttus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:My poor grandma was really shaken up about someone else going through her car.
It feels so weird.
Ohhh thats terrible, even though i did a heap of work fitting a moulded carpet interior(took me 3 days to get it right), the heart really isnt in it anymore. I kind of just want to start fresh with something else.

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 pm

man that's really really shit news :(

least you get the tools back :D that's the best part.

keep me posted on the buy out from the insurance company I could probably use a fair few of those parts for my brumby :) I'll pm you my number

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Or let me know what they're asking :p

Seriously it's great that you've got it back, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get it sorted to put it back on the road again if you could get over the incident. I hope they catch the bastards!

Some here might remember the saga about baz - my sister's 84 L; it was stolen and recovered. I repaired it to keep it on the road for a bit longer. She got a letter about 2 months ago naming the two offenders and telling her what they got for their actions, it was a great letter to read but it took 2 or 3 years for the result!

If I was in a better position I'd probably be keen to purchase this off you and return it to the road as a daily. But alas, I'm not. I don't mean to offend ash, but I think it's better to keep these on the road than strip them of their parts - if we keep doing this they'll be few and far between before long!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm

I could always be like Revmax and horde brumbys :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 pm

AshR wrote:I could always be like Revmax and horde brumbys :p
Do it!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

berttus

Post by berttus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey guys, spoke the RACV about the vehicle and as it is a stolen car they don't offer a buyback on it. it will eventually be taken to Pickles Auctions in Tullamarine so if anyone wants to harvest parts off it you will have to buy it from there.i grabbed the headlight covers if anyone is looking for some and i have a set of snow chains to fit 185/60/14. I also have the tonneau cover but someone may already have a claim on it.will let you know.

Cheers again for the support and kind words.
Brett

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:00 pm

I must be missing something here, it's your car, but they won't let you have it back? Even if you buy it? just because it was stolen?

Is this to do with insurance company or the law? Sounds crap to me, although I could see if the car was badly damaged some people might not want it back.
Good to hear it was found though.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

purp

Post by purp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 pm

After it was stolen, the insurance company paid him the brumbies value. Which means they own it. If he hadn't been insured he'd get it back, but would not have got the money...

I assume the rule against buying a car back in these circumstances is to prevent a car being "stolen", having the owner paid out for it's insured value, then mysteriously turning up in perfect condition for the owner to buy back for less then the insurance money....

Out of curiosity, if the car had turned up straight away (ie before the pay out), would the insurance company have repaired it for you?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Insurance companies have stolens assessed by way of a compression test to help decision as to whether to write off or repair. Not sure if it is a tool just to see if engine was in crap condition , coz it may have been a reason to have it 'stolen' or whether they wanna know if it has been rapped out while stolen. Much the same they like to write off flood affected cars coz they can turn out to be a can'o'worms further down the tracjk as corrosion sets in everywhere

berttus

Post by berttus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 pm

purp wrote:out of curiosity, if the car had turned up straight away (ie before the pay out), would the insurance company have repaired it for you?
Id doubt it. The damage to the suspension was pretty bad.im no expert at all but in appeared as though the drive shaft had been pushed/bent back far enough to hit and damaged the chassis rail. So who knows how bad it really is.

Bantum
General Member

Update ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I've also had that experience of someone breaking into MY '82 Wagon + stealing the head unit, not a very nice thing to happen - on top of damaged door locks with a screwdriver ... :(

Just a note on the before and after shots, there also appears to be some damage just behind the drivers side door & rear wheel, looks like it has run into a tree ... ?

Any update on what happened to it at auction ... ?

Return to “Subaru Chat”