What did you do to improve your soobie today

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Don't need gearbox x mem , and toughen up and do the two piece - is easy, I can help....

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Yeah didn't think I needed the X-member, just have to mod the gearbox mounts to go on mine. To do the 2 piece I'd need to get an L tail shaft though :roll: I know someone who might be able to lengthen mine anyway, will see which is easier. Isn't it difficult to get the placement perfect length wise?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 pm

nah, fit it all up with flat bar brackets drilled to take the centre bearing mount bolts, fit them, support tailshaft nice and straight along a string line - get an idea where you need to predrill the brackets, predrill, and predrill some rivet holes, refit, drill through support rivet holes, rrivet bracket to floor, drill bigger holes, bolt her up. REMOVE THE THREADED BOSS TOP OF REAR of box ! FIRST !!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Steptoe, that doesn't really make much sense - too many predrill/drill/hole/rivets etc etc!!

But maybe that's just me after being at the pub...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 pm

or me did it on my own one cold April Saturday night - no slaves, no observers, no pub involved

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm

After 4 years ?? finally got around to hooking up the reverse lights after ditching the auto box. Used the auto selector switch wiring for both power supply and feed to reverse lights. And fixed the unwilling number plate light - fix was same as I did to its brother a few years back - replaced the very slimline lighting connection with a more durable off cut. Must run in the family sh1tty connection and falling apart internally. Oil & filter change, with a complimentary handbrake cable adjust :) . Now I won't be surprising the odd motorist whn I move backwards :) , Can see a bit better when doing so in the dark too !

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:51 am

Hey what's thread doing on page 2? :-o

Anyway just installed some decent second hand gas struts on my tailgate (Thanks subaruby!) and they are even about 20mm longer than stock, boy does the door open wide now! and it stays there too, holds itself open even when it's half closed. They're not brand new though so it doesn't open itself ;) It's awesome, I've never had decent gas struts :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Hey what's thread doing on page 2? :-o

Anyway just installed some decent second hand gas struts on my tailgate (Thanks subaruby!) and they are even about 20mm longer than stock, boy does the door open wide now! and it stays there too, holds itself open even when it's half closed. They're not brand new though so it doesn't open itself ;) It's awesome, I've never had decent gas struts :p
I did this a few weeks ago. be careful, i am still hitting myself in the chops when i go to open the boot! :p

alang

Post by alang » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:41 pm

finely got the brumby to start and run today. gave it a quick tune with the timing light now it idles fine but starts to over heat looks like i need to replace the thermostat must be stuffed after sitting for 2 years so will remove it tomorrow and give her a run to see if still heating up. it don't blow any smoke after sitting for that long ever

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Anyway just installed some decent second hand gas struts on my tailgate... They're not brand new though so it doesn't open itself ;) It's awesome, I've never had decent gas struts :p
Can't go past a good set of tail gate struts! I picked up a very good set from PAP a few years back, they were re-gassed with some extra pressure to hold the tail gate up with a set of 6x9's mounted in it.

After getting RScoo back on the road I almost took myself out when I opened the tailgate... It took a bit of time to get used to after playing around with a typical L series tailgate!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Not my subi, but a very productive day none the less!

I'll let ash fill you in on what we got up to :D

Cheers

Bennie

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:47 pm

cant wait to see it on the road.
how the mechanical condition of the car?
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

AshR

Post by AshR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Man should have taken more photos of our day at the wreckers :)

After playing with it a couple hours, the brumby now has a replaced front left hub, replacement spark plugs, replaced drivers window winder.

Bennie managed to get the timing "close enough" to get the car started and it runs :D

Is rough because there is inconsistent jetting in the carb atm, so have to hunt down the cause of that.

BUT the Brumby drives about 5m forwards, and reverse (and one reverse light)

Still a bit to do, but least it's running and the hub is replaced. (all for $15 for the hub)

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:16 pm

AshR wrote:Man should have taken more photos of our day at the wreckers :)

After playing with it a couple hours, the brumby now has a replaced front left hub, replacement spark plugs, replaced drivers window winder.

Bennie managed to get the timing "close enough" to get the car started and it runs :D

Is rough because there is inconsistent jetting in the carb atm, so have to hunt down the cause of that.

BUT the Brumby drives about 5m forwards, and reverse (and one reverse light)

Still a bit to do, but least it's running and the hub is replaced. (all for $15 for the hub)
good to hear!
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

alang

Post by alang » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Found the problem for the over heating the thermostat housing was full of crap and blocked as well the thermostat is shot. plus i snapped a bolt of trying to remover the thermostat

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm

AshR wrote:Man should have taken more photos of our day at the wreckers :)
Not allowed to take cameras - at least a digi SLR is a "little obvious"... but a pocket "photo copier" or phone camera is simple!

AshR wrote:Bennie managed to get the timing "close enough" to get the car started and it runs :D
It could have been on the money before I started playing with it! It was probably just the spark plugs to begin with as to why it wouldn't start.
AshR wrote:BUT the Brumby drives about 5m forwards, and reverse (and one reverse light)

"Still a bit to do" - quite a lot but you'll get there! Chip away at the bits we talked about and you'll be sorted. I might take a bit longer than you expected to get it on the road but it'll be well worth it when it is on the road!
alang wrote:Found the problem for the over heating the thermostat housing was full of crap and blocked as well the thermostat is shot. plus i snapped a bolt of trying to remover the thermostat

Bugger mate, that's messy! Good that you got on to it now rather than later! Best of luck removing that stud. I hope this is the only cooling issue you've got!

Cheers

Bennie

AshR

Post by AshR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah not in any massive rush to get it on the road asap. but least I know what I'm up against now I have the car in the drive.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:02 pm

I'll give you a year :twisted:

Bennie!

AshR

Post by AshR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I want it on the road before then :p

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 pm

I replaced the power steering tank on the rx and then washed all the power steering fluid off the motor. There is still a lot of fluid soaked into the crossover pipe, so every time i drive it, a huge cloud of smoke billows out from under the bonnet.
Hope it doesn't spontaneously catch fire.

Sent from my new touchy phone thingy using tapatorque
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Subaru Chat”