insurance

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
gazcull

insurance

Post by gazcull » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:53 pm

hey wondering if anyone has any advice on insuring my l series/rsturbo, she's not worth a great deal but really wanna insure it at least third party. would thought i need an insurer cool with modified cars, cheers for any help

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:11 pm

justcar have been good for me with mods.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:41 pm

SGIO have been good with me. But one tip DO NOT go with RAC, they are a rip off and very reluctant to insuring a modifed car.

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

just went with aami coz rac suck.

ammi support all the mods most members on here do.

like engine mods lift sound system and will cover you for up to 5k if you crap is stolen.

also seems a bit strange but aami seems to be owned by rac :-S
1990 L series wagon Ej22

i didn't realize this image was so large :-O

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Have been wondering what you guys do with some of the major mods being done.

Shannons advertise heaps for insuring modified cars but i have no idea how cheap they are or how good they are at paying out.

Remember its no use having insurance if they either deny the claim or are slow/difficult.. Most insur companies will try to find loopholes to get out of paying claims but some are worse than others. I used to work for AMP...sensational at paying claims BUT expensive & i doubt if they'll do modified cars

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Shannons, can't fault them, they only insure enthusiasts, do monthly payments without charging the extra $60 a year others do.

At least- adopt the 'don't drive without TPPDO' attitude

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:12 pm

I recently rang around for 3rd party. SGIO was pretty cheap and said they could beat any competitor by 10%. Virgin was the cheapest by $30, I went back to SGIO with the Virgin price but they wanted to see documentation, the catch is Virgin won't send out any quotes or documentation until I have paid with my credit card. :???:

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Would be focusing more on the product than the premium price.

$100 here or there will mean zip at claim time if it is denied.

Consider features such as:
  • First option to buy back the wreck
  • Camping equipment
  • Accessories
  • That they will insure for all mods
  • Choice of repairer
  • Towing cover
Make sure:
  • Your mods are complianced - this is the easiest and number one reason why they can knock back your claim
  • That you have an email or documented evidence of all discussions
Based on my (industry) experience, am at a complete loss why anyone who values their car (modded or otherwise) would choose AAMI.

Justcars, Shannons would be a good place to start.

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:05 pm

sven '2' wrote:Would be focusing more on the product than the premium price.

$100 here or there will mean zip at claim time if it is denied.

Consider features such as:
  • First option to buy back the wreck
  • Camping equipment
  • Accessories
  • That they will insure for all mods
  • Choice of repairer
  • Towing cover
Make sure:
  • Your mods are complianced - this is the easiest and number one reason why they can knock back your claim
  • That you have an email or documented evidence of all discussions
Based on my (industry) experience, am at a complete loss why anyone who values their car (modded or otherwise) would choose AAMI.

Justcars, Shannons would be a good place to start.

Sven
Thats pretty good advice. Esp the documentation, then they cant dispute anything.

If your car is heavily modified you might need to get engineers cert?
Whats the difference between engineers cert & complianced?

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 am

Shannons are fantastic and about half the price of some others, the most I could insure my Liberty for (4yrs ago) was 9k, I called Shannons & with a list of mods a mile long they insured it for 15k, it got belted by the hail storm last year and they wrote it of with only panel damage so I bought it back for 4k & got a cheque for 9k (insured price had gone down over time).

Best thing was about an hour after the assessor came & we agreed on the price I went out & blew the doors off a new Maserati ........ Not bad for a car I had just bought for 4 grand LOL.

The offroader is insured with them also for about 13k I think, I asked what would happen if I damaged it off road & provided I'm not on private property it's covered, along with mods ...... which I'll need to add to when I get back, I pay about $550 per year for each car from memory, comes out the bank monthly so I never look.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:28 am

nachaluva wrote:Thats pretty good advice. Esp the documentation, then they cant dispute anything.

If your car is heavily modified you might need to get engineers cert?
Whats the difference between engineers cert & complianced?
Compliance = certificate = engineered, depends what state you are in.

All policies will have a clause saying the vehicle must roadworthy - this is where modified car owners are caught out. Roadworthy is more than the indicators working.

If you in in SA, is very restrictive, on the other hand Qld is very liberal with what can be approved. Ironic that there are so many insurance companies nationally, but only a half dozen underwriters or so.

A very complex industry it is...
73 Yamaha DT3 250

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am

Whats wrong with aami?
1990 L series wagon Ej22

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:33 pm

d_generate wrote:Shannons are fantastic and about half the price of some others, the most I could insure my Liberty for (4yrs ago) was 9k, I called Shannons & with a list of mods a mile long they insured it for 15k, it got belted by the hail storm last year and they wrote it of with only panel damage so I bought it back for 4k & got a cheque for 9k (insured price had gone down over time).

Best thing was about an hour after the assessor came & we agreed on the price I went out & blew the doors off a new Maserati ........ Not bad for a car I had just bought for 4 grand LOL.
No way!
My sister bought back her Forester (now mine lol) for $3600 after the hailstorm but it was only insured for $8k. She got jibbed lol :confused:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 pm

He initially wanted $5,500 for the car but I said to him nobody would want a 12yo Liberty that needed roof, boot, bonnet, f&r guards & 2 doors replacing & they would be lucky to get 3k with the mods........when he said ok how does $4,000 sound I nearly burst my poo poo valve, not like I cared about what it looked like in the first place so it'll stay rough till it dies, I've only ever been interested in the way it went & drove so I got my baby back & a nice cheque to boot lol. I didn't even have to put it over the pits, just a minor inspection and done.

I sent to the US & bought a dent puller which got rid of about 80% of each dent & treated her to some newer wheels & a clutch..... I have put a big dent in the front door above the one in the sill since this was taken but I have replacement doors & guard which I paid bugger all for, just got to put them on.

this is the bad side. (ignore date on pic)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:39 pm

That was some exc bargaining lol :D

BTW, i love the wheels. All in all very cruisy looking sleeper.
So what mods does it have?

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Mr Top Hat wrote:Whats wrong with aami?
Well, just about everything.

The 'assessment' centre. Quotation process. Hourly rate paid to repairers. Non-genuine parts specifications. I could go on. And on. And on.

How else can they achieve lower premiums? Costs have to recouped somewhere.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

sven '2' wrote:Well, just about everything.

The 'assessment' centre. Quotation process. Hourly rate paid to repairers. Non-genuine parts specifications. I could go on. And on. And on.

How else can they achieve lower premiums? Costs have to recouped somewhere.
i guess your right but they still are better than rac, because they have accepted my mods.
1990 L series wagon Ej22

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 pm

AAMI wouldn't even talk to me when I mentioned it was a modded turbo Subaru, RAC wanted nearly double what Shannons wanted for 8k cover, I hadn't had fully comp insurance for 30yrs & Shannons gave me 60% ncb straight off.

Nachaluva, it was a 2.2 auto GX Liberty badly punched in the bum when I bought it 7yrs ago but now full STI underneath, 4.44 box, 4 pot brakes, Darkside racing calipers, rear wiper/window from a Legacy sedan, $2,000 Butler 3" TBE exhaust, breathing mods like CAI & under manifold intake, standard V3 computer, adjustable sway bar, under body brace, ALK, Cusco strut brace, Bilsteins, BBS wheels, STI gauge pod, quick rack, GD top mount, c/f scoop, GTB front bumper, Legacy boot, low Kings, I had Nitrous in it but was too scared to use it so I've taken most of it out though it may go back to try a high 11sec pass as it's got an easy high 12 in it now, also got a Blitz Dual EBC mounted for the last 4yrs but never connected lol. That's all I can remember but not a bad buy at 4k.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:10 am

d_generate wrote:Nachaluva, it was a 2.2 auto GX Liberty badly punched in the bum when I bought it 7yrs ago but now full STI underneath, 4.44 box, 4 pot brakes, Darkside racing calipers, rear wiper/window from a Legacy sedan, $2,000 Butler 3" TBE exhaust, breathing mods like CAI & under manifold intake, standard V3 computer, adjustable sway bar, under body brace, ALK, Cusco strut brace, Bilsteins, BBS wheels, STI gauge pod, quick rack, GD top mount, c/f scoop, GTB front bumper, Legacy boot, low Kings, I had Nitrous in it but was too scared to use it so I've taken most of it out though it may go back to try a high 11sec pass as it's got an easy high 12 in it now, also got a Blitz Dual EBC mounted for the last 4yrs but never connected lol. That's all I can remember but not a bad buy at 4k.
Wow thats a lot. & all for $4k lol
Didnt think nitrous was legal?

Did you do much to the engine? Did u paint the c/f scoop or leave it raw? I love the look, esp the way it shines in the sun.
Whats a "Blitz Dual EBC"?

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Electronic boost controller, has 4 settings for different boost levels 0-32psi, scoop is raw lacquered, it just makes the original have a larger mouth & engine is as it came from the factory with 12X,XXXK's on it but we are taking the insurance thread over so ..........

Return to “Subaru Chat”