import compliance

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Punisher

import compliance

Post by Punisher » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Does anyone know how much it would cost for compliance on a 98 - 02 Liberty Wagon on a Japanese import ? And where to get it done ?

H-top

Post by H-top » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:23 pm

I think 99 is the newest you can comply?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 pm

dunno ...
Anybody had experience with imports ?
I know anything 88 or earlier doesnt need compliance but 89 on does.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Punisher wrote:dunno ...
Anybody had experience with imports ?
I know anything 88 or earlier doesnt need compliance but 89 on does.
RSR 555 knows a thing or two re: imports.

Have a search of his posts involving a user named Spike - there was a bit of info there from memory.
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:18 pm

sven '2' wrote:RSR 555 knows a thing or two re: imports.

Have a search of his posts involving a user named Spike - there was a bit of info there from memory.
Shhhhhhhhh... I know nothing ;)

Vehicles pre-89 will still need to comply to Aus Standards but with approval from DPI may be lic'd. Laws are changing all the time and you'll need to read over this link... http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... ation.aspx to get the most upto date info. Importing and Licencing of a post-98 model vehicle will need to go through the RAWS way. IMO not work the hassle :( You can bring the vehicle in as parts and then fit/swap all over into an Aussie body.

BTW.. Steve, I thought his name was Skipe :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 am

Spike? Yeah, he dropped off quickly didn't he? Gone off with the likes of Tim81coupe, Brumberty, Tigger, LRaiser, Alpine Raven......

There is/was also a 15 year old rule too on imports. Might have to do some research here to as I opened my big mouth when talking to a guy that runs a small import company when talking about wedges - he knew the XT6 and is keeping an eye out

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 pm

thanks guys ...
yea RSR 555, it would be cool if you could bring in a whole car for parts but I think they have to be cut in half ?
If you could bring in a whole car, you could find a damaged one and use the compliance off that.

My brother lives in Tokyo at the moment. He says Subarus arent all that popular and really cheap. 98 - 02 liberty GT Twin Turbo Wagons for 2g and under.

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:59 am

AFAIK the 15 year rule has been replaced with pre 89 rule. Anything built in 89 or later needs to go through RAWS as Paul has said, but only if it is a vehicle not available new here. Basically anything Subaru has to be brought in either cut in half or for race/rally use and you will need a CAMS license. There is also the personal import route though. If your brother is in Tokyo, he can buy a car there and must be able to prove he has owned and used it there for minimum of 12 months and then he would be allowed to bring it back with him. Not worth it for one of the cars you have mentioned but would be for something a little exotic...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am

If you are wanting to bring the whole car, then you'll need to bring it in as a personnel import or rally/race rego, otherwise it will need to come in 2 halves.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subaru Chat”