How about something DOESN'T break on my car :(

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
phantomD

How about something DOESN'T break on my car :(

Post by phantomD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 am

Well the Brumby and I aren't getting along very well at the moment. I could fill an A4 page with the issues the car has at the moment and still only be mentioning half the problems it has. I have just gone through my third thermo switch on the radiator in a year (car was nice and toasty earlier due to a lack of thermo fans coming on), I have to get the exhaust system replaced AND I'm getting rubbish fuel economy with city driving because of an issue with the choke. Also the list of "we noticed that" is getting bigger every time I get the damn thing serviced.

FML. Anybody else feel the same RE old Subarus?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

yes me.

the reason i got rid of my wagon was because it was too modified and broke every trip i took it out on. Couldnt handle my punishment.

bought a patrol. It has broken NOTHING and i drive it even harder than my old L

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

AND I heard a few clicks of death when I was at full lock the other day :( Maybe I should just send mine to the compacter, paint job and all, and buy a Patrol :D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 am

you could post it to me, I would lock it in the garage and keep it forever muwwahahahahahaaa

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am

Where's the fun in that? :) I may well pull the engine out soon and preserve it...as long as I find what I'm looking for in the Wanted section!! :twisted:

PS
If I don't find it soon then that EA81's going to get quite a few K's on it...

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:19 pm

It's an old car. Cars develop issues along the way. If you let them build up naturally it can be overwhelming. Fix them up and they won't be there anymore :)
If the car is fairly standard in spec most of the issues will probably not re-offend for another 20+ years if fixed correctly.
Naturally if it's wildly modified and smashed offroad regularly, expect nonstop issues!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 pm

AndrewT wrote:It's an old car. Cars develop issues along the way. If you let them build up naturally it can be overwhelming. Fix them up and they won't be there anymore :)
If the car is fairly standard in spec most of the issues will probably not re-offend for another 20+ years if fixed correctly.
Naturally if it's wildly modified and smashed offroad regularly, expect nonstop issues!
my patrol is highly modified and has never broken :)

but its boring offroad cos it takes no skill to get it anywhere.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Andrew - I wish it was that easy! At the moment I'm in a position to be fixing urgent things like the exhaust, come the end of the year I should be able to get everything fixed in one bang.

Yes I drive an old car but it's had a lot of TLC, it's hardly been driven and I seem to throw more money at it than it's worth on a yearly basis.

Dann

Post by Dann » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Alex wrote:my patrol is highly modified and has never broken :)

but its boring offroad cos it takes no skill to get it anywhere.

alex
Was that a hint that your missing the L series????? :twisted:
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:29 pm

I could've bought a 2000-2002 model forester for the money I've poured into my brumby.

but it would just be another forester. I know that my brumby is different from every other one on the road because of the work that has been done to it.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Please learn to service it you self so get a better picture of things going on, the money you save on labour goes into tools or more parts required like your exhaust. Thought everyone was in here to learn and share how to-s, though suspect some are cheque book enthusiasts :-)

dave

Post by dave » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:46 pm

i know what alex means about the patrol. ive got mates who think they are top shit cos they occasionally get some places where i cant in my subie. thats because their cars are built for 4wding. they dont take any skill or concentration at all to put them in a decent offroad postion.

subarus are road cars designed as an extra traction vehicle for dirt roads and snow. not where we take them. so naturally, they are gonna break. but you'll find, with some TLC and careful planning on the routes that you take, the subie will be the standout of the pack and everyone will be impressed. i think that in itself is worth the money of fixing it. :D
cheers
R.I.P old brumby
2 inch lift, cut guards, 27" tires with 14" sunraysiers, loved it!! :mrgreen:

my current subie
L series, all the normal lift with big wheels (27" BFG ATR's), custom front and rear bars with rear tire swinger, roof racks and some other goodies. soon to have a snorkel and a nice ej22 dropped in it along with a gearbox which i havent decided on yet

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 am

Alex wrote: the reason i got rid of my wagon was because it was too modified and broke every trip i took it out on. Couldnt handle my punishment.

bought a patrol. It has broken NOTHING and i drive it even harder than my old L
And that's because:

A) The patrol doesn't have the acceleration of the modified L series and

B) You haven't got the patrol airborne as high as you got he L!

^ True story, regardless of wether I was there or not!
phantomD wrote:AND I heard a few clicks of death when I was at full lock the other day :( Maybe I should just send mine to the compacter, paint job and all, and buy a Patrol :D
Or give it to me and then get your patrol... At full lock - so what. Try once you're in a straight line moving off gently, then be worried - that's what my shafts are doing now after about 3000kms since a grease change :evil:

Do the things slowly - starting with the most important bit if you can afford it and go from there... You'll thank yourself in the long run - no regrets...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 am

Two things kill old cars , age and defered maint . When things wear they need to be serviced or replaced or they slog on until they fail .
A car may not be economically viable from a resale perspective but it will be safe and reliable as long as it is maintained properly .

Horses for courses , reasonable 4WDs will cope better for their intended purpose than a car designed more to be an "all road" vehicle than an off road one .
Everything you do to try and make a Subaru an off road vehicle takes it further away from being a capable on road vehicle . Granted simple mods can make one a slightly better off road car but as soon as its on road abilities suffer its compromised IMO .

I still enjoy using my RX L Series for everyday transport and it has been off road a couple of times . Never would I go anywhere I couldn't get it back out of and I don't adopt the rip tear and bust attitude with any vehicle wheather it be car truck or locomotive . Train driver BTW .
Ellies now 25 years and almost 360k old and still reliable though it cost to get it that way .

Matter of opinion I suppose .

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 am

El_Freddo wrote:And that's because:

A) The patrol doesn't have the acceleration of the modified L series and

B) You haven't got the patrol airborne as high as you got he L!

^ True story, regardless of wether I was there or not!
ooooo not so sure about the airborness...the patrol has been flying afew times.

i love this arguement....im going to keep myself reserved cos i know what is a bajillion times better offroad :) and it doesnt start with a S and end in a U.

Im still a subaru boy tho. Just not so much for 4x4 anymore.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

dave

Post by dave » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 pm

horses for courses... such a good saying for the blokes who own brumbys. :D
R.I.P old brumby
2 inch lift, cut guards, 27" tires with 14" sunraysiers, loved it!! :mrgreen:

my current subie
L series, all the normal lift with big wheels (27" BFG ATR's), custom front and rear bars with rear tire swinger, roof racks and some other goodies. soon to have a snorkel and a nice ej22 dropped in it along with a gearbox which i havent decided on yet

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 pm

It's not an argument. Of course a big 4x4 will be better offroad. Old Suby's modded for offroad have their charms too. It's apples and oranges.

A click of death isn't a "click of death". It's a click. It means one of your CV joints needs replacing soon - Plan to do it at some stage and stop being pesemistic :)
Next your wiper blades will need replacing and you'll be complaining about "smears of impending doom!" on your windscreen when it rains :)

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 pm

discopotato03 wrote:Two things kill old cars , age and defered maint .
Agreed 100% on the deferred maintenance bit. I used to get everything fixed right away, but then I had occasion to put one or two things off and do a "quick fix" going back on the exhaust. Now I feel like I'm driving a car that's about to fall to bits!

On the plus side, I now know just how much better this car drives with a non-standard exhaust! :mrgreen:

Now to kill the big list of to-do items.

Return to “Subaru Chat”