L-Series Fuel Tank Size

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
alx92

L-Series Fuel Tank Size

Post by alx92 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:03 am

Hey guys i was just wondering if someone can tell me how big the fuel tank in my 1990 Sportswagon should be? Im pretty sure it should be 60L... If its bigger than about 40L or so im thinking the guage or the sender are buggered, as im filling the tank at just above empty, and only getting 35L in and even then it only shows 3/4 full...

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:33 am

yeh, pretty sure its 60L. most of the L's i have anything to do with have something wrong with the reading, mine holds on full for the first 20L and then goes to nothing with 15L left. i have seen a couple that only go to halfway.
you should be getting over 500km for a tank normal driving, just keep an eye on the odo for when its time to fill up.

stenno

Post by stenno » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am

If its anything like gen 1 liberty fuel senders, try giving the sender a clean first. its a common problem, there is a DIY FAQ thingy on RSLC im sure. otherwise try what i did;
* wait till the tank is almost empty.
* grab a bottle of metho, rag and a toothbrush, dustpan brush/scrubbing brush
* gain access to the top of the fuel tank to take out the sender
* clean all dirt / mud / crud that will fall into tank, off the tank
* remove sender out of tank taking care not to drop anything into tank that you need. disconnect everything as required.
* take a good look at the circuit board and very carefully wipe with cloth and metho so that each individual track that the arm moves up and down on, can now be seen etc not mashed over the ones beside it. bend the arm closer if need be.
* reinstall and you should now have a working fuel gauge.

hope this helps

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 17, 2011 11:05 am

60 litres in factory manual. When you think about it, if the tank ran dry as we hit empty we'd always be running out of fuel as we all tend to push the envelope. Sort of a generous reserve or safety margin if you fill up when it hits empty a 35 litres :)

alx92

Post by alx92 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:20 am

hahhahaha true that aye... ill have to keep it going and see how much further i can get before i chicken out and fill the tank...

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 pm

alx92 wrote:hahhahaha true that aye... ill have to keep it going and see how much further i can get before i chicken out and fill the tank...
Don't forget to carry a spare 10 litres just in case the chicken has gone home to roost for the night when you do.
Hylton:twisted:

dave

Post by dave » Tue May 17, 2011 7:40 pm

good to see you took my advice and joined the forum buddy. plenty of information on here and lots of friendly people to help out.

cheers fellas :)
R.I.P old brumby
2 inch lift, cut guards, 27" tires with 14" sunraysiers, loved it!! :mrgreen:

my current subie
L series, all the normal lift with big wheels (27" BFG ATR's), custom front and rear bars with rear tire swinger, roof racks and some other goodies. soon to have a snorkel and a nice ej22 dropped in it along with a gearbox which i havent decided on yet

Return to “Subaru Chat”