MY11 Impreza - Roof Racks & Dashmat

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
TheWedgie

MY11 Impreza - Roof Racks & Dashmat

Post by TheWedgie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:41 pm

So, just signed on the dotted line for an MY11 Impreza R Sedan... now to await delivery!

Looking at roof racks - is it worth getting the Subaru ones (either through the dealer or via the intertubes for cheaper) or just head to the nearest roof rack place and get some Rola/Rhino Rack etc ones?

Possibly going to put a bike carrier on there, but may end up getting a towbar one as CBF lifting the bike on and off!

Also - is it worth getting a dashmat, or just apply some kind of protectant regularly?

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Pretty sure genuine Subaru roof racks are just Rola rebadged and marked up.

Dashmats are personal. I don't like the look of them, but one came with my current car, and it's turned out quite handy for hiding stuff under. It'll be years before you have to worry about your dash copping any damage from the sun.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 am

I agree with the dashmat situation, with a new car just take good care of it *the odd dose of Mothers/Meguiars dash protectant will serve it well*. (not a big fan of the armour all just because of the greasy residue it leaves behind)

With the roof racks have a look around at local auto stores...I know super cheap stock pro racks that might do the job for you (and a hell of alot cheaper) Otherwise I always like to go straight to a supplier and try and skip out the dealers insane mark up.

James
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James :D

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 am

Oh and congrats on the new Suby purchase...delivery is going to be a fun day :):)

Willie

Post by Willie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:33 am

I purchased my Rola Racks through one of those mobile fitting mobs when we bought the Forester. Turned out to be alot cheaper than the "Subaru" racks, which I'm pretty sure are just Rola items with Subaru stickers.

The other reason I wanted the aftermarket ones was that the style the Foreter takes are the ones where the cross bars are on top of the legs. I got the guy to make my cross bars a bit longer than the standard length so as I can fit the luggage basket and cycle attachments on the outside of the basket. Makes the handlebars of the bikes stick out a bit, but as long as you remember they're up there, all's good.
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:55 am

Possible advantage of a dashmat is it also stops the glare off the plastic dashboard - some cars are really bad for glare, especially if they have the shiny plastic finish.

Polishing with armor-all or similar protects the finish but also increases the glare.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Backyard_Brumby

Post by Backyard_Brumby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm

At work now, just checked roof rack pricing. For yours it would cost 275 for racks and 45 for the mounting kit. At least that should give you an idea if you can find cheaper. I would expect genuine would cost a lot more

Cheers james

TheWedgie

Post by TheWedgie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks guys - not going to bother with the roof racks now as I got a towbar bike rack.

As for the dash - reckon I'll just have to get some Mothers/Meguiars stuff as suggested.
In the meantime, I have to learn how to wash a car properly - none of this 10 minute hose/suds/hose at the local servo anymore!

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:11 am

GOD wrote:Pretty sure genuine Subaru roof racks are just Rola rebadged and marked up.
Subaru use Thule for the last few years - they don't rebadge but still mark up abit.

Return to “Subaru Chat”