Confused about upgrade

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Walrus

Confused about upgrade

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 pm

New member and first post...so not sure if this is the right spot!

I've had a 2002 Outback H6 for about 3 years and although I had a few problems early on as it had done 200,000, so the inevitable need for replacing things, I've loved it and it drives great.

Its now at the stage where I spend more cash on it for an oil leak, cv joints, new pads etc...or upgrade. Being offered $5000 as a trade in, which is a bit rough but to be expected. I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending the $3,000 or so to do the work and keeping it for another year or two and then picking up a second hand later model. Or just selling it and getting a 3 year old H6 now for about 28-30k!

I realize its up to me and depends on my situation but just wanted to see if you guys had an opinion!

Cheers

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:57 pm

if you want to upgrade dont trade in, sell privately

Its worth ALOT more than 5k. I would be offended if i got offered that.

you will love a newer model outback, theyre great cars, but so is your current car.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Alex wrote:if you want to upgrade dont trade in, sell privately

Its worth ALOT more than 5k. I would be offended if i got offered that.

you will love a newer model outback, theyre great cars, but so is your current car.
I was a bit insulted to be honest and if I do upgrade will be selling privately.

I'm getting a full mechanical assessment from the local Subaru dealer but don't trust them much, and from an independent mechanic that I do trust. I'll compare the two quotes/assessments and if I think its worth keeping for a bit longer will probably do that.

If I keep it I would like to upgrade the stereo so that I have an aux input but not sure if that is possible?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:18 pm

even parts youd get a lot more!!!

engine its self is probably worth about 3 and the gearbox is another 1600

78sti

Post by 78sti » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 pm

If I keep it I would like to upgrade the stereo so that I have an aux input but not sure if that is possible
I have upgraded the stereo in mine (2000 outback h6), I used a clarion head unit with a aux in and a usb port, and the origional stacker plugs straight in the back. Just make sure you get a clarion that has stacker control and it should work. I used a single din unit and put an extra pocket under, but if you spend a little extre you can get a 2 din unit that will take up the same space as what you have now.

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:57 pm

78sti wrote:I have upgraded the stereo in mine (2000 outback h6), I used a clarion head unit with a aux in and a usb port, and the origional stacker plugs straight in the back. Just make sure you get a clarion that has stacker control and it should work. I used a single din unit and put an extra pocket under, but if you spend a little extre you can get a 2 din unit that will take up the same space as what you have now.
A 2 din unit is an option but with the phone and GPS in place as well it starts to get a bit screen crazy! And creating extra storage, which is in short supply, would also be very handy!

I like Clarion units, what sort of cost are we talking about and what unit did you get?

78sti

Post by 78sti » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 pm

I bought mie about 18 months ago.

You need a head unit that supports cenet stacker control

Most of the 2010 units dont seem to support this so you need to get an older unit like thishttp://www.clarion.com/au/en/products/2 ... 97912.html

Mine was similar to this and was only about $230 from autobarn

Ok I found it this is the one I have http://www.clarion.com/my/en/products/2 ... 18353.html

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Test drove an 07' H6 with Si drive today and an 05' 2.5 to make a comparison as I'd never driven the 4 cyl.

Big difference between the two and given a choice between mine and the 2.5 I'd keep mine 100 times over! The H6 was obviously quick and felt nice but frankly I'm not sure if I'm getting that much more of a car than I already have (02' H6)...and when you're spending almost 30 grand you really do want to feel like you're getting A LOT more...dont you?

Or am I just being an old tart/fart that cant make a decision?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:39 pm

no thats a fair call. Youll notice a BIG difference if you drive the new 3.0L h6. theyre a pretty powerfull donk.

Maybe just spend abit extra on youre cureent car and get her all peachy. The gen3 is still my favourite :)

oh and 78sti, i have that exact deck in my patrol(the top one). GREAT unit. Even better value for money.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 am

OK so after a number of test drives and lots of research I've now dismissed everything apart from a Volvo xc70 and of course the Outback (06/07 3.0R with Si drive)!

It seems that these two are very similar cars but the Subaru has better fuel consumption and handling, the Volvo has slightly more room and of course lots of safety additions....according to reviews it is better off road but not as good on road! Any thoughts?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

What kind of extra safety stuff does the Volvo have? The Subaru should have the 5-star rating as standard I imagine?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am

outback has 5 star safety rating. If anything its the same, if not more safe than the ovlov.

The outback also has more power. Ive seen a video of the liberty 3.0rb around the track versus a turbo volvo. The 3.0rb absolutely smashed it.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Haha wrong place to be discussing an Outback - Volvo comparison. Doesn't really seem worth trading in your Outback for $5,000. Sounds like they're low-balling you, and if they realise you're serious then you should be able to negotiate a MUCH better trade in price. My mum recently did a trade in and at one dealership they offered her $2,500 trade in (min red book value). We passed that up and went to another dealer. At this second place they had the whole saler on the phone negotiating real time and mum ended up getting $6,000 trade in which was the highest price listed on red book for her car. All depends how interested they are in getting your buisiness. It appeared to me all the negotiating was done on trade in value, not the price of the car been purchased.

All the 02-03 Outbacks on Ebay currently are selling for 12,000 +. For that amount of money you could have yours repaired and sell it privately for a much better price. Or you could get away with selling it without repairing it too! If you're having it repaired then why not keep it and get some more life out of it?

They're all good options (except the Volvo), all depends on how much wheeling and dealing you can do as to what will be the better deal at the end of the day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Ok! Andrew when I referred to 'stuff' I suppose I meant reputation and wasnt being specific, my mistake and point taken!

Alex - Valid point but frankly I'm not into driving around race tracks clocking speeds, but I understand your point. However the performance aspect at that level is not a deciding factor. If a Volvo cant compete with a Subaru around a race track it will have little baring on my use of either car! But I think I have dismissed the Volvo on the simple grounds that there are more Outbacks on the road, and that says a lot!

Venom - I agree with trade in issue (of course I would!) and have ongoing conversations with dealer. EG Today. He calls me and leaves a message to say 'call me have good news' the good news amounts to $500 more on the trade in value. His is up for 31 and the dealership are having some kind of sale for Aug and its down to 29,225 so he keeps using that against me, which is fair, its a drop of almost 2 grand. I said forget trade ins I'll buy your car for 27/28 now! He gave me the line that he'll have to speak to his manager...I said if he cant make a decision let me speak to the man that can blah blah blah...So after some discussion I told him not to waste my time and call me if and when he wants to sell me a car! The saga continues!

Footnote - I need a reliable car and whilst I do like the one I have I feel its going to start needing more and more work. I'm no mechanic and just cant afford to have a car that wont start every time...and I realize that's never guaranteed but newer 'should' be more likely!

Thanks all for the input!

legacytt

Outback

Post by legacytt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:39 pm

I have an 03 H6 Outback and has just clicked over 110 000k, I was contemplating an upgrade but decided that the current car does eveything a new one will. As a result I am giving it a good overhaul and replacing the rocker cover seals which are the main cause of oil leaks. I have also fitted a manual which makes it a much better car to drive. I am upgrading this box to one with the 1.59 L series low range in it and fitting a DCCD centre so I can lock up the centre diff offroad. A lift Kit and HD king springs are also going in so should end up with a great allrounder. As I have allready spent the money on a Subaextreme front bar and have a rear tyre carrier it would be more expense to put all this on a new one, so more incentive to keep the current. Also these engines are now turning up at importers so a replacement will be easy to come by in the future.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 pm

I'd say fix up your current subi and leave it at that. They are reliable vehicles so long as they are serviced properly.

I like what Legacytt has had to say about his outback - a good move in my opinion!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:18 pm

If I didnt need a reliable car I'd agree with you about keeping it but the car is 75% business use and I cant take the chance of running a business with a car that's one of the main tools being 8 years old and potentially unreliable. I know thats the same with newer cars but less so!

I'm now looking at going for a brand new car! The warranty bonus is great and it would provide some piece of mind. The Outback is just a bit too steep I think, $44/45 k is stretching it for me so I'm considering a Forester...amongst a few others in that size. I will miss the power of the H6 but thats life and you cant have everything...Holden, Mitsubishi and even Nissan are in the considered list!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Fair enough - it seems you've already got your mind made up regardless of what we say. I know for one that fixing the current ride you have will be a lot cheaper than a new vehicle - and once you've fixed the problems you're experiencing now I'm sure you'll have a few more years of reliable service from this subi.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Its now more about what to upgrade to rather than if I should! After much research and consideration I'm down to two second hand options. Decided that saving ten grand was worth it and a 2 or 3 year old $30,000 car will more than suit our needs....

Soooo....its either an Outback 3.0R or a Mitsubishi Outlander VRX 3.0 ! I'm sure that will raise a few eyebrows but the Outlander has more internal room and a 2/3 year old car comes with the balance of the 5 year factory warranty...not to be overlooked easily! So whilst I love the Outback, the Outlander is edging it slightly because of teh warranty and space...If I could find an Outback with the remainder of an extended warranty it would be great, but is there a way to increase internal space/storage?

Walrus

Post by Walrus » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Close to deciding on a 2007 Outback 3.0 R but would like some of your views on storage space and audio features!

As it doesn't have bluetooth or an aux in I will have to have those fitted. Is there an after market bluetooth option that is functional, small and easy to fit? Also can I have an aux in or usb socket added or would I need to replace the stereo, assuming that is possible?

Return to “Subaru Chat”