Lift Kit into Outback vs Liberty - any differences?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
ScubyRoo

Lift Kit into Outback vs Liberty - any differences?

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 pm

G'day folks,

Well its almost time to put my lift kit into the outback - wondering if there is anything different between the two - any extra spacers I may require? Steering extension should still fit? I don't have the luxury of a spare car so I want to get this done nice and clean in one hit.

Going to extend the brake lines and upgrade to braided steel :twisted:, quoted ~$85 per line - does this seem reasonable?

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm sure someone in the know will be able to confirm more precisely, but I believe it's almost exactly the same, but some minor differences. The Outback already has a partial lift kit in it so the lift kit you put in will either need to have some bits left out, or just smaller bits put in where there are already blocks.
ie - the engine crossmember already has small lift blocks on it in an Outback, but a Liberty doesn't.

Search abit on the forum, somebody has likely covered it. I'm just going from a rough memory of reading something like that in the past, not from actual experience.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am

AndrewT wrote:I'm sure someone in the know will be able to confirm more precisely, but I believe it's almost exactly the same, but some minor differences. The Outback already has a partial lift kit in it so the lift kit you put in will either need to have some bits left out, or just smaller bits put in where there are already blocks.
ie - the engine crossmember already has small lift blocks on it in an Outback, but a Liberty doesn't.

Search abit on the forum, somebody has likely covered it. I'm just going from a rough memory of reading something like that in the past, not from actual experience.
Thanks Andrew - I'll have to check where those blocks are and if they are afixed to their parts or not - otherwise I'd either have to add in the lift kit and have some areas with a total of 3" lift and others with 2", remove the partial kit and have 2", or find enough 1" spacers to get the whole thing to 3" overall :twisted:

It will be interesting to see in the morning where these spacers are...

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 am

If you aren't already a member of rslibertyclub.org forum, join up, it's a great forum.

Here's a link to some threads with some good details on Outback stock lift blocks (mostly from people removing them to lower the car) but still applicable.

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/sho ... tback+lift

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 am

I can confirm there is blocks where the cross members are (front and back). Steering linkage as well. That is all I know of, there isn't one on the gearbox area.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Point

Post by Point » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:22 am

if it's anything like a Forrie (and i think it would be the same) there are cast 30mm lift blocks on the engine crossmember (held in place by a plastic plug), longer steering linkage, lift blocks on the front part of the gearbox crossmember (welded on but shouldn't be that hard to remove) and the rear bush on the front control arm has a different offset to compensate for the crossmember lift.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Would it be worth putting the 2" lift on top of what's there already? Some components would then sit 1" lower than others which would make it 'consistant' with factory?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm

It's not advisable to have blocks ontop of other blocks - maybe if they are welded together.
I wouldn't want the extra possibility of movement / flex.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Ah ok, so say they were welded together and all sweet, or where 1" blocks are present, changing them to 3" blocks... obviously subaru have decided to put lift blocks on only some places - so maintaining that 1" difference in those areas might be worthwhile?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Owen.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Owen, Rip out the Outback lift, put your liberty 2 inch lift in. It'll be the same floor plan and if the lift you've got now is of the same generation of liberty/outback you should sorted.

Compare the blocks to their relevant mounting points to see if it'll all work out, especially if you've got a gen 3 outback and using a gen1/2 liberty lift. You're liberty's setup was already more than tall enough with your setup without adding another inch! I could practically drive Ruby Scoo under Libby!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:39 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Would it be worth putting the 2" lift on top of what's there already? Some components would then sit 1" lower than others which would make it 'consistant' with factory?
On my gen 3 OB the standard outback spacers/blocks stay in place and then the 2" alloy blocks were dropped on.No problems with movement.So yes add to whats there.

Pulling out the factory stuff and adding the 2" lift will only give you 1" over factory,not really worth it imho.
Another point of interest. have a read of this
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81- ... lifts.html

and this
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81- ... fixed.html

Believe me you will need those bits of flat bar if you don't already have them.I've torn out both my control arm mounts and have repaired them also know of another.
Happy lifting
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 pm

But didn't you have raised springs eh? How much "taller" are raised springs compared to standard outback springs?
I reckon, if you could get your hands on 3" blocks (not 1" & 2" together)? You've got 3" lift plus 2" blocks and raised springs so technically speaking you have overall 4" lift?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Subaru Chat”