EG20G engine parts information

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
T'subaru

EG20G engine parts information

Post by T'subaru » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am

Im looking for a parts manual covering an ej20g. Ive called around today to our largest national parts chains and also Subaru dealers and no one has any info on this engine.I called a dealer in Canada today but their on holiday until tomorrow( dont know if they got this engine or not) Its time to get my jdm engine ready to install after timing components,seals/gaskets and waterpump.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Mark
its a '93
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey Mark.. That engine came out in our 92 to 94 RS Turbo Liberty (Legacy everywhere else) only. I have a workshop manual but not a parts manual. I can source any number you may need.. just flick me through a list of what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue May 25, 2010 12:31 pm

here are the part numbers i installed last weekend on my 1997 ej20g. yours are most probably the same but dont trust that
Timing belt kit Gates(australia): VKMA98112SH (includes bearings and tensioner) roughly $600
water pump Powermax (australia) brand: WP 3091 $180

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 pm

The RS's actually started in 1989 as a Legacy in Japan.
Mine is a 1990 for instance.
We only got them here as an Australian delivered car (Liberty RS) from `92 onwards as RSR mentions.

The EJ20G started off in the RS's and continued right up to around 1997 in WRX's altho in the WRX they got different heads.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Sorry guys.. I did word that wrong.. The engine Mark has (from an earlier picture) is from a RS engine but we only got that engine in the Aus delivered RS between 92 to 94 (after that they are not the same in the WRXs), Subaru used the same engine code but they are different in many ways.

Mark.. I forgot to ask, are you after genuine parts or aftermarket?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Per the oil cap mine is a '93. I have downloaded the Lib fsm a member posted up here, big thanks for that :) As far as oem Paul, I think a good quality part would be fine as the jdm engines sold here are warranted unless the heads are pulled, so I think I should reseal the cams, front and rear mains, v/c gaskets and oil pan gasket and oil pump seals?? I want to replace the belt, tensioner?? and any other wear items while its on the stand also along with the waterpump. Have I misses anything? Here are some pics of the ej, what is pictured is what I have including the downpiipe, cat etc. There will be other items I need to source as well to make it all work but the engine parts will allow me to put it all under the hood:cool:
Thanks Guys, Mark

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:44 pm

No probs Mark.. I would, in my opinion, use Genuine oil seals for the Camshafts, Crankshaft (which is also your oil pump), Rear Main and your Rocker Cover (V/C) Gaskets, including the spark plug holes as I've used aftermarket ones in the past and they have always come back to bite me in the A... I would use an aftermarket Waterpump and Timing Belt Kit which comes complete with pulleys and tensioner plus a bunch of the usual service stuff like oil/filter and plugs. I'd also look at all the hoses and replace any that look a bit suss as they are a prick to do when the engine is in place :(

BTW.. what intercooler setup you looking at using? as see the blowoff valve pipe has broken off the intercooler intake pipe :(

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 pm

RSR 555 wrote:No probs Mark.. I would, in my opinion, use Genuine oil seals for the Camshafts, Crankshaft (which is also your oil pump), Rear Main and your Rocker Cover (V/C) Gaskets, including the spark plug holes as I've used aftermarket ones in the past and they have always come back to bite me in the A... I would use an aftermarket Waterpump and Timing Belt Kit which comes complete with pulleys and tensioner plus a bunch of the usual service stuff like oil/filter and plugs. I'd also look at all the hoses and replace any that look a bit suss as they are a prick to do when the engine is in place :(

BTW.. what intercooler setup you looking at using? as see the blowoff valve pipe has broken off the intercooler intake pipe :(

Cheers,
Paul
Good advice and thanks Paul. Yes, I have a couple broken pieces in that photo as well as a harness that has been cut. I was looking at using the stock waic. Ill have to shop on ebay au, and get going on oem seals and such.
Cheers, Mark

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

that busted plastic bit on the intercooler intake pipe....these are very commonly broken like your one. You can replace that entire arrangement with a Silicon one off-the-shelf. These can be had from Ebay and performance parts websites pretty easily.

The throttle body looks like it's full of crap. It might be worth taking the inlet manifold off to make sure it isn't full of even more. You don't want sand etc in your engine.

Some worthwhile upgrades which you will inevitable end up doing are;

- Replace those standard coils. It's very common for them to go faulty. Usually people replace them with Bosche HEC-716 coils or HEC-715 (the difference is just male or female lead connection - get them to suit whatever leads are more easily available to you). Even if your coils are working okay, this is a good upgrade, you can feel the difference in engine response.

- Replace that plastic radiator header tank with a metal one from an early WRX. The plastic ones....well....they're plastic. Very old now and one day the main hose connection will just break off leaving you overheating and stranded.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 26, 2010 1:15 pm

AndrewT wrote:that busted plastic bit on the intercooler intake pipe....these are very commonly broken like your one. You can replace that entire arrangement with a Silicon one off-the-shelf. These can be had from Ebay and performance parts websites pretty easily.

The throttle body looks like it's full of crap. It might be worth taking the inlet manifold off to make sure it isn't full of even more. You don't want sand etc in your engine.

Some worthwhile upgrades which you will inevitable end up doing are;

- Replace those standard coils. It's very common for them to go faulty. Usually people replace them with Bosche HEC-716 coils or HEC-715 (the difference is just male or female lead connection - get them to suit whatever leads are more easily available to you). Even if your coils are working okay, this is a good upgrade, you can feel the difference in engine response.

- Replace that plastic radiator header tank with a metal one from an early WRX. The plastic ones....well....they're plastic. Very old now and one day the main hose connection will just break off leaving you overheating and stranded.
Yes the tb ( mostly salt ) needs attention. It doesnt take long for the salt in the air where I live to start clouding up aluminum. I recall how new coils helped you out, there getting replaced also. I plan on putting it on the stand this weekend and start servicing/cleaning it up.
Cheers

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 pm

That Header Tank looks in good condition :) I'd only replace it if it starts to leak and same with the Coil Packs, unless you have money that is burning a hole in your pocket :p

Silicone pipes of Ebay are fine, just make sure they look like a good quality product and check for other peoples responses about them ;)

As for the standard setup.. like WAIC, etc.. I'd go for it :) it works well and everything fits properly, also means that if there is ever any problems, they can be sorted/fixed easier if things aren't madeup from different models (unless you have good experience with them?).

Also I noticed the A/C lines and P/STR lines are cut :( are you planing on using them?

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 pm

RSR 555 wrote:That Header Tank looks in good condition :) I'd only replace it if it starts to leak and same with the Coil Packs, unless you have money that is burning a hole in your pocket :p

Silicone pipes of Ebay are fine, just make sure they look like a good quality product and check for other peoples responses about them ;)

As for the standard setup.. like WAIC, etc.. I'd go for it :) it works well and everything fits properly, also means that if there is ever any problems, they can be sorted/fixed easier if things aren't madeup from different models (unless you have good experience with them?).

Also I noticed the A/C lines and P/STR lines are cut :( are you planing on using them?

Cheers,
Paul
power steering for sure and I will eventually get the ac hoses fabbed, air is handy once and a while but not really needed regularly where Im at.
Cheers

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:44 pm

cool.. excuse the punt :)

P/STR is easy in the EJ to L.. from memory you just need to slightly flare the EJ hard line that goes in the rack. You should be able to use the lines off an non turbo Legacy (89 to 94 models)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm

RSR 555 wrote:cool.. excuse the punt :)

P/STR is easy in the EJ to L.. from memory you just need to slightly flare the EJ hard line that goes in the rack. You should be able to use the lines off an non turbo Legacy (89 to 94 models)
Cool, thanks for the info, some of the loose ends I havnt addressed yet:)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:57 pm

T'subaru wrote:Cool, thanks for the info, some of the loose ends I havnt addressed yet:)
No probs mate ;) Can't wait to see it in the wagon and running :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”