Hello, guess what. I'm a new member.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Wombat

Hello, guess what. I'm a new member.

Post by Wombat » Wed May 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Recently bought a 1990 AG-QUIP Brumby 350,000 km's on the clock for an interest as i gave (HaHa) my Honda Civic to my girlfriend. Have always wanted to have a ute but owing to family constraints have to have waited until now to do so.
Did not do enough background research before purchase (none) so did not know the pitfalls of buying such an old car. I test drove it on a corrugated dirt road so all i really knew was that it drove in a straight line and did not do anything crazy.
Since then i have found oil leak in front of motor (Oil pump) ;replaced with secondhand with kit $90.
Replaced distributor,rotor and cap.
Just purchased EMPI carby upgrade.
Not yet fitted.

All The Best Keep You Informed, Wombat (Dave)

preno

Post by preno » Wed May 05, 2010 7:16 pm

good job on getting a brumby great car. dont worry every brumby has faults but they seem to just keep going.

the oil pump is known to leak with these motors and just the kit usually fixes them. did mine just the other month.

good luck with it. post some pics for us yeh.

cheers

matt

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Will do . All the best Wombat.
1990 Subaru Brumby.

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Wed May 05, 2010 7:30 pm

great car ,mine too is a 1990 ag quip ,,

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Wombat!

Your brumby may have come with some problems, but you will get to know your little beast better through the process of fixing these. Hopefully there are not too many! The main thing is being rust free around the windscreen, behind the cab in the tray and the inside of the front of the doors.

Check out the forum, loads of info on the brumby - I own one vicariously through my fiance's mum, I convinced her to get one :twisted: Love it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I am enjoying the experience of touching a motor vehicle again.
1990 Subaru Brumby.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Welcome Wombat (Dave) :)

Hope you have fun with the Brumby.. I've been keeping my eye out for a good one.. getting harder to find :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Awesome... send some pics up on here...
Good Luck!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Brumbies are great.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Dane

Post by Dane » Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 am

Brumbies do have the cool factor.

coxy

Post by coxy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:54 am

Yes the Cool factor is becoming much more evident,my Brumby replaced an MY wagon and since then there are now 4 more Brumbies that have appeared locally in my area,Subaru really need to wake up about a replacement.
The Brumby you will learn to appreciate is one of those rare things these days an Honest motorcar,easy to work on and long lived mechanically and worth keeping on top of as it will look after you if you look after it,something that cannot be said for many later cars these days.

Pootcrum

Post by Pootcrum » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Wombat wrote: Just purchased EMPI carby upgrade.
Not yet fitted.
Hey, sorry to necro an old thread but I was curious about the Empi carb (I'm assuming you got it from Recarb) and I couldn't seem to find anything with a search in relevant forums.

I'm looking into various things to do to the ute (1991 Ag-Quip Brumby, was my grandfathers and I never want to let it go) to increase its awesome, but an EJ conversion is way over my budget. So basically a new exhaust is on the table, along with various ignition upgrades and advanced timing with 95/98 ULP. It will be an ongoing project.

The carb conversion is something I also want to do. Most people seem to go for the Weber upgrade, and I dont seem to read anything about the Empi carb. So I guess my question to Wombat is what's it like? I am assuming it's installed by now? To those that have any experience is there any important difference between the Weber and the Empi carb?

preno

Post by preno » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm

i was lead to believe that the empi carb is basically a chinese copy of the weber? or at least very similar. it is made in a few of the weber sizes but 32/36 is the most popular.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:57 pm

G'day Wombat (Dave),
wellcome, great little beast I just bought my first Subie a 1992 Brumby about 6 weeks ago eheheh yep like everybody else I have found little things that need doing and well what can you say! oh yeah a great learning experience.However joining this forum of Subie aficionado's has been one of the best starts to learning about it

Enjoy and have a ball
Hylton

dibs

Post by dibs » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 pm

hmmmm i wonder if that makes brumby drivers cool to lol
yea good work m8 i got a 92 was going to sell it but glad i didnt actuauly im selling my 2000 wrx just to keep it . as i dont want to make it worthless by silly mods i want to do to the brumby.

keep on truckin even if its a tiny truck

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subaru Chat”