New car

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
dan0s

New car

Post by dan0s » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi guys.
Just new here.
So i have a question. I am selling my car that i currently own which is a 2004 SS commodore and buying a Subaru.

So i am looking at the manual 2008 RS model. Unfortunately it only comes with the 2.0L engine. I havent test driven one yet because the dealership didnt have any when i went down there.

Would anyone recommend this car? Is it worth it? I dont want to get stuck with a 2.0L without any grunt at all. I need some power because i do alot of Motorway driving in Sydney but i wanted something small and easy to park and have around town.

Thanks in advance!

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

After an SS you will find the RS to be a slug and want to make it faster.
Save yourself the effort and buy a WRX.
Settlement Creek Racing

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Thats what i was worried about. I changed my diff on the SS to 3.9 so i had more acceleration. But i am prepared for a substantial loss of power and acceleration.
Maybe the forester xt would be a better idea?
Should i maybe try test drive the RS just in case i liked it?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Welcome...
Its a very big change from SS to RS Impreza.. What is your reason to have your eyes on that impreza?
Maybe you should look at 2.5i models?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I quite like the 2008 hatch, i'm also moving to the city. If only it had a 2.5 engine in the smaller model.
I want to downgrade from the ss because its a large car and hard to park in small places at the best of times.
All i need is some fuel economy and enough power, the ss was great but i never utilized the whole power range because i would be so far over the speed limit in first gear i would just never need it!
Would there be any sort of n/a mod i could do to the 08 model for a bit more grunt?

coxy

Post by coxy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 pm

You could look at a better exhaust as this generally helps any late engine they are so choked up the tyres make more noise driving down the road.
Then you have to look at all the positives much better build quality handling braking and the awesome traction abilities of Awd.
There is a reason that in the USA where times are much tougher than over here that Subaru sales are up by 38% Nissan only15% others lower and Toyota plumeting,it's called build quality genuine advantages in primary safety and versatility that have been a long time Subaru design philosophy.
As with anything mechanical it is metal therefore it doesn't think so it can't screw up,people however do.
Follow the simple guidelines of it was designed correctly,manufactured correctly used correctly and maintained correctly and it will not let you down.
A good example of not following these guidelines is Toyota at the moment,Subaru is currently much better than most in doing it right and with the proper approach to owning and driving one you will soon forget the power advantage of the SS when you appreciate the other areas of Subaru's overall more useful package.
One area of note is that awd largely overcomes many so called advantage of abs and traction control or electronic stability control,as many advertising departments love to promote as being such a good thing.
An example I can give is from one of the other forum members here where 2 of his workmates found themselves upside down in the middle of the Hume Hwy after hitting some water on the road in a falcon,Abs and Traction control conspired to bring them unstuck as the cars electronics took over control from the driver in adverse conditions and they narrowly missed a Semi trailer combo in the process of being taken for a ride they didn't plan on,this was due to electronics taking control away from the driver,and the academics and govt think that is a safety feature.
That is what I am talking about when I made the point about primary safety,Subaru along with some others like Audi offer increased Primary safety with real features like All wheel drive,and reliable electronics done without cutting corners.
Were those guys in an All wheel drive vehicle the accident simply would not have happened.

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 am

I love the idea of awd and the grip on the road and other handling and weight performance of subarus as a whole. The SS had the power but it weighed alot and the handling wasnt the best. It was too large to park and since i am moving to the city in sydney i need a more driveable and parkable car.
I dont mind about compromising on power but i still want enough there to get out of sticky situations.
I was thinking i want to test drive the suby first because i havent driven this model. The wrx's are a bit expensive and im not really looking for a racer at the moment.
Would a forester offer more power in all situations? Could it be just as practical for motorway and city driving due to the 2.5 engine with more opportunity to unleash more power? I dont think i would be able to find a good xt forester for under 26 grand with low kms either.

Thanks for the feedback!

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:40 pm

So ive ended up driving my girlfriends dads car yesterday, he has a 2010 impreza with the 2L engine. Its a great car to drive! A big different in being able to move it about around corners. If you stay in the range where the torque and power is its not too bad.
So ive decided i will end up getting one of them. Is there any difference between the 2010 model or the late 2009 model to the 08 model?

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:02 pm

the best thing you can do with a N/A subi is make it handle!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

riksta

Post by riksta » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

the 2010 Impreza is an all new car, you can not conpare it to older ones as thay very different cars.

the 2010 Impreza is the better car, built stronger and handles much better then the
2009, if you have the funds that would be the one to get.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Willie

Post by Willie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 am

Trust me, as an ex-XR8 owner, you will miss the power. I replaced it with the 325 BMW, which is no slug, but the XR8 was just in another league.

Our MY06 Forester XT has more power than we really need, but I love the driving plesure it delivers. If you can stretch the budget (both initial cost and slightly higher running costs) I recommend the XT or WRX, or at least the 2.5.

Cheers,
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 am

Oh really? Even better than the 2009 or 2008 model? It wasnt the RS it was an rx i think.
I didnt realise that it had any different specs from what ive read on the net on the spec sheet with its engine!
I loved its handling i mean the SS was more like a boat with bog stock FE2 susp.
Is there really a major diff with the strength of the chassis for cornering?
I loved the fuel economy in the impreza! And i was thinking of getting a motorbike - a Suzuki DRZ400SM as well to satisfy my power and speed needs, but hey im training to be a pilot so i come down to land at 110km/hr!

I can find an 09 model maybe if it makes a big difference, it all just matters if my ss sells! Ive been accepted for the place i applied for in the city so i want to get rid of it ASAP!

Hey would anyone like a beautiful SS to swap with a small suby! ;)

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 am

Did anyone mention the new Imprezas look like a polished turd. Dude stick with a 2010 SS.

dan0s

Post by dan0s » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:09 pm

I like the small hatchback look of the new imprezas. They drive well too compared to my SS. I want something thats good on fuel and sticks to the road and is safe and easy to park. no FWD crap only AWD or RWD.
All i would plan on doing to the 08 impreza would be a small exhaust and air filter to free up the engine a bit because it did lack down low big time. But hey its only a 2 litre so i didnt expect a speedster.

Return to “Subaru Chat”