redundant A/C evaporator - fan speed++

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

redundant A/C evaporator - fan speed++

Post by steptoe » Mon May 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Improved my << edit: Brumby >> blower fan considerably by finally swapping out the redundant AC evaporator underdash unit with a non AC unit ducting. Ten years ago I disconnected the AC due to malfunction and power sapping. Three years ago I bought an MY sedan for parts and noted its blower fan blew heaps more hot air at the time, good for heater and demister functions. I put it down to the fact the blower fan must push all its air through the AC evaporator regardless of whether it was hot, cold or fresh air required. As these units age they fill up with crud and dust especially on the fly screen protector for the AC unit. Having stripped out my cruise control gear strapped under the glovebox, removed the glovebox lid and liner, removed the two nuts one bolt holding the fan unit in place to get a bit more free play pushed the hose fittings through the firewall and a bit of a struggle to get AC unit past the heater hoses and viola - it's out. The flexy non AC duct went in so easy. Now blower fan rips along !! Cheap and cheerful tip for others with non functionng AC gear under dash.

An afterthought is if you cannot find the flexible duct just empty the evap box of its alloy and stick back in all sealed up.uc

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon May 25, 2009 2:35 pm

coulda done with this a few weeks ago when i replaced my heater core! doh.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I gotta do my heater core too, It blew yesterday when the thermostat died... I've never seen a temp guage move so quick! I then snapped a bolt on the thermostat housing, thought I could tap it out but now I've snapped the whole thermostat housing off the rest of the cast piping for the coolant on the inlet manifold!!!

I'm really wishing my EJ was closer to completion, I really don't want to be working on the EA82 but still need it going for another month at least. I've got 2,500km til I hit my goal ODO distance for the EJ to be in... fun fun.

I've got an all metal heater core to go in, this'll be done when the EJ goes in...

End hijack (sorry mate!)

I thought getting the AC gear out would have been impossible without removing the dashboard... I guess that I was swapping the dash when I did Sunnie's AC so it was a two birds with one stone senario...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon May 25, 2009 9:11 pm

steptoe wrote:Having stripped out my cruise control gear strapped under the glovebox
What car is this in?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 am

My blower fan died in the RX and I wouldn't mind removing the redundant AC "ballast" under the dash .
When the fan was working it was no gale even in "4th" so anything that makes it better than a CPU fan would be a bonus .

Cheers A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 26, 2009 10:23 am

The cruise control and the AC unit removal was in my Brumby (sorry forgot to mention the body shape) It is an AP50 from Kmart, designed in Sydney made in Taiwand by Command Auto Group who were working on drive by wire cruise controls for BA? Falcon when I fitted this up. Aimed for better service life from the control box and servo unit. The cable reached to under the glovebox from acc cable so that's where it goes. I can hear it working away.

The AC evap box was a collector of things from the past, the volume of one litre, and the mesh was just chockers with dust.

Return to “Subaru Chat”