Brumby indicator switch fix ??

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
TW83

Brumby indicator switch fix ??

Post by TW83 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:15 pm

My indicator switch does not self cancel and the ones in the wreckers are either the same or close to shagged anyway.

Is there any fix available (eg. plastic weld or devcon the bumps) ?

Aftermarket switch assemblies ?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 pm

If you remove the steering wheel and plastic casing on the steering column, on 1 side of the indicator assembly is a white plastic disc with 2 ramps on it, this is your cancel mechanism.

The ramps should have a sharp vertical edge on 1 side but have most likely become worn and rounded over the years.

Using a file or low temp soldering iron reshape them back to a vertical edge with a square corner.

Sorry if that all sounds a little vague, but it'll make sense when you're looking at the white disc.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Point

Post by Point » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:54 pm

a mate of mine made up a spacer that sits in between the white plastic collar and the steering wheel, so that it pushes the collar further in and the cancelling mechanism then works on the part of the collar that isn't worn.....if that makes sense the way i've explained it?
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Banker01

Indicators.

Post by Banker01 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:31 pm

I cut a strip off a coke can and shaped and glued it around the white plastic ring. Works like new.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 am

I just used my signal fingers for last ten point five years. Always thought if a genius could make new spring clip with the bumps in it would be great -sell them around the world! Might give mine a go with aluminium and araldite....

sublime

Post by sublime » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Another option is to add roll pins (just like the L Series has) to the back of the steering wheel. Would only need to drill two holes at 12 and 6 o'clock position and find some roll pins. Oh, and remove the round plastic thing!

My local plastic welder has a tool he made years ago specifically to fix this very problem, he used to do them all the time.

I find it strange the very early Leone (1973 - 77) had roll pins. Subaru changed to the spring loaded plastic piece for the next two Leone models and then went back to roll pins for the 1985 L Series. The actual indicator cam is pretty much the same for all models.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

TW83

Post by TW83 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks BVCP,

i used a butane soldering iron and the whole job only took 5 minutes. All fixed.

Return to “Subaru Chat”