Brembo brakes and sti wheels

Everything EJ related to everything in the title
cdavidjo

Brembo brakes and sti wheels

Post by cdavidjo » Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2008 gtb wagon fitted with Brembo brakes and sti wheels. Lovely car. The spare for the vehicle however is the std liberty 18" alloy. It seems that this spare wheel may not fit over the brembos, important when I need to change for a flat tyre. I do not particularly want to buy a spare STI wheel so I am considering this. The front brakes are considerably larger than the rear ones so I am guessing that in order to change a front wheel may I move the rear sti wheel to the front (in order to clear the larger front brakes) and fit the spare alloy to the rear wheel. Is this a viable option so that I do not need to buy a STI spare? Will the std alloys fit over the smaller rear Brembo brakes.
Just thought I'd post the question before I ask at the local tyre shoppe...

Cheers,

dave

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun May 03, 2009 8:05 am

I would have thought that the 18" spare would fit over your front ones. I would try that before I did any thing else. The current STi Impreza runs 18" wheels and Brembo brakes.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Just a quick question... Does the Australian 2008 GTB come standard with Brembos? If they did and you brought this car from a dealer, then I would be asking them to find you a spare rim and tyre to fit the front wheels. Just food for thought ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

cdavidjo

Post by cdavidjo » Sun May 03, 2009 9:19 pm

That's what got me thinking about this RSR 555. This demo car (1000k's when i bought it a week ago) is not std with these brakes and wheels but are fitted as an factory fitted option. I am kinda certain that the std spare wheel will not fit on the front. Would it be advisable for me to ask the Subaru dealership in Melbourne for a spare that will fit (it would be a straight swap) in this instance. Are they bound to sell me a car that is roadworthy, ie with a spare wheel that fits?

dave

masterjohnson

Post by masterjohnson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am

I cannot find something like this in our country. Look at this guys.
Subaru Impreza STI 2.5 06+ Hawk Front Carbon Brembo Brake Pads. Only in UK. Damn i have not yet ask my dealer. Oh no an old thread. Sorry for digging this already late when i noticed the date. sorry i just use search button a lot.

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 am

Nice thread jack!!
If you want cheap brake pads (and can wait a week or 2 for them) email http://www.knsbrakes.com/

To the OP, the car is a Tuned by STi? Or as someone else said, previous owner has fitted Brembo's?
I'd jack the car up and see if the spare fits (more than likely won't fit the front) over the rear - if it does, it'll take an extra 5mins to swap front to back if you do get a flat.
If it doesn't, do what I did and find a 2nd hand 02 - 04 Impreza STi wheel and get a tyre that will keep the rolling diameter the same (or very close to it, within a couple of %).

Return to “EJ Brakes, Suspension, Rims & Tyres”