Bad day at the office..

Post up your YouTube & other Videos here ...
ToyRX

Bad day at the office..

Post by ToyRX » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 am

Well...

Had a rallysprint on Sunday in the EJ20G Leone that went pear shaped.

Basiclly too fast into a very slippery RH open corner, slid wide and boofed the bank with the LR, doing this damage...

Then the FL droped into the water table hit a big rock, broke the stearing arm and now the wheel looks like this....

Then the car begain to drive itself up near verticle bank (due to broken steering arm and stupid driver) over a rather large log in the ditch, front went over ok then the back hit and it went skyward, the car pivoted in the air and was facing nose to the road when the top of the windscreen/roof line hit the bank then the whole RHS slammed the bank, the car then "fell" on its FRH corner and then fell back on its wheels facing 45deg from the bank back up the way we had come.

Car now looks like this....

I think a new roof, doors, bumpers, and pannel beat the rest, new seat brackets (they bent) and see how it goes from there.

Me thinks I am going to be busy for a while, ahh well ya gotta love motorsport aye :wink:
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 am

:o good effort...

howd you pull up after that one??? no serious injuries i hope

good luck with the fixing;)

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 am

top marks for style on that mate ;) looks like you pulled a nice one off :P

hopefully you can get her all looking swet again mate, thats a top lookn rx
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 am

No injury's at all, we were lucky that way. I really need to start pulling it apart to see how bad the damage is...
I have already been offered a free shell to cut the roof off if I need to so that will help.
96 RSB Legacy

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 pm

I was thinking that boofing the bank was not that bad… then I scrolled down. Job well done, bad luck buddy. She’ll be back, glade to hear that your ok as well.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Bad luck. Has the chassis been braced in that one? Looks like it held up ok considering the damage to the body.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Not really sure what has been braced on the chassis, guess Ill find out when i pull it apart. Mind u rollcages are great at keeping cars relatively in shape - lol

From the quick look i had it seems the engine got of very lightly, not even a busted radiator!! I wil run over it with a fine tooth comb this weekend befor i try to start it up. Fingers crossed its all ok.

Just need to fix the FL wheel and then Im mobile again which will make it easy to move around to work on.
96 RSB Legacy

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:27 pm

top effort!
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline
1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4

2006 Holden Combo - work van :)

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:19 pm

yeh good work.
lucky it wasnt much worse for the car - and you.

flat04

Post by flat04 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:29 pm

Bad luck mate, that sucks. Glad to hear you're ko. Don't like the sound of the seat rails bending, will give you a chance to get them up to scratch then!!

I hate doing major work on the rally beasts but it is a good chance to have a good look over things and make it better for next time.

What tyres are you running on it?

Andrew

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:27 am

Yeah - Im glad we were ok to, just goes to show how much differace a 5pt harness, race seats ans a cage makes aye.

Both seat mounts bent, both in the same place, almost a mirror immage of each other. They both bent the original mount at the rear of the gearbox tunnel. Seems to be the weekest point.

The tyres are Bridgestone Potenzas RE360's 185/65/14 - nice tyre, but a little pricey.
96 RSB Legacy

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:54 am

ah that'l buff out :p
glad to hear there were no injuries!

What kind of events do you compete in? Obviously none that require you to retain the stock motor?? i thought that was a main requirement of most types of competitions?

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:01 am

Im getting worried it wont buff out, major damage done in three places.
1) Impact seperated passengers side engine cross member from chassis rail and split the rail wide open.
2) LR door sill is really bad, major profesional work needed their, looks like the hub needs work too.
3) RH A-pillar and roof edge seams all split and bent, again a profesional job to fix.

Need to get some quotes but I can reshell/new cage/cert/paint for around $2.5k which is bloody tempting if it costs more than $1500 to fix this one.

AndrewT - I compete in local club events, hillclimbs, rally sprints, motokana's, bent sprints etc. In NZ we are not as picky as your CAMS guys and I can run this setup in national or even international events if I wanted, all I would need to do is add a restrictor and find LOTS of cash - lol
96 RSB Legacy

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:13 am

Sounds like the re-body might be the go. At least with that door you can just bolt a replacement on.

I'm pretty tempted to get into rally. I've just go an `86 RX which I think would be ideal but its got no EA82turbo. Even if I managed to score one I don't think they have the ponies for my tastes or would withstand the punishment I would give it. Looks like I'll be giving CAMS a call this week to find out exactly which events I can compete in with an Ej20G under the hood :p

Return to “Videos”